Argo years to buy or stay away from

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo years to buy or stay away from

Argo years to buy or stay away from

I currently have an 83 8 wheeler that I love. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer model because I will be moving to the "cabin" and will need something that can plow snow and be very reliable.

I've been looking at used ones online and notice that many newer ones have had major work done such as chains, sprockets, bearings, axles etc. Seems a bit surprising that something only a few years old with low hours needs these types of parts replaced.

My question is, are there any years/models I should avoid? Years/models I should buy? I want something that's rugged and reliable.

if your gonna buy another move up to at least an avenger.the gospel truth is that the transmission parts for the I/C,bigfoot,vanguard and conquest models will no longer be manufactured after this year.i made the mistake of rebuilding an older I/C and then a conquest and eventually bought a 2012 HDI.although it was a great learning experience tearing the old machines apart then putting them back together,it would have been cheaper just buy a late model argo from the get go.

I kinda agree, anything later then the I/C will be a good investment in an 8 wheeler. The trans parts have currently been discontinued with larger servicing dealers currently making large parts investments to keep their customer base rolling, keeping you machine as a spare could change what to buy as a replacement. Many users are upgrading older machines whether needed or not with axles and bearing parts from newer machines.
    A new or late model machine should out perform your current machine though all are obviously capable. It comes down to driving preference and of course available funds and condition of considered machine models.

If by any chance locals have newer machines than yours, drive them all and weigh out your preferences.

Good luck in your choice.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    if your gonna buy another move up to at least an avenger.the gospel truth is that the transmission parts for the I/C,bigfoot,vanguard and conquest models will no longer be manufactured after this year.i made the mistake of rebuilding an older I/C and then a conquest and eventually bought a 2012 HDI.although it was a great learning experience tearing the old machines apart then putting them back together,it would have been cheaper just buy a late model argo from the get go.
    What year did the Avenger come out? Is the main difference just the transmission? I see a 2011 for sale online which I might be interested in. Would that be a good year?

Thanks!

Avengers came out 2004-5 depending on who you talk to.
    A 2011 would have come 3 ways;
    700 Carbed 26 Kohler standard current production trans
    750 EFI 31 Kohler efi standard current production trans
    HDI Admiral trans 31 Kohler efi
    If I were to go that new I'd shoot for and injected model with todays fuel issues.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    If I were to go that new I'd shoot for and injected model with todays fuel issues.
    One online that I might be interested in is a 2011 31 hp liquid cooled Kohler EFI. What's the verdict on the Admiral trans - good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Hmmm wonder how I ended up with a late 03 Venge 31hp efi right place at the right Time I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by watpress View Post
    One online that I might be interested in is a 2011 31 hp liquid cooled Kohler EFI. What's the verdict on the Admiral trans - good or bad?
    Admiral Trans good people that try shifting them from high to low or vice versa while on the move bad that has been the bulk of the issues with them I would not hesitate to buy one,that said the standard is tough as nails so either way your good to go.
    Last edited by North Country Tough; 02-14-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Hmmm wonder how I ended up with a late 03 Venge 31hp efi right place at the right Time I guess?
    Must be Canadian luck, I don't remember efi available til 2007 models here under the line.

We must have been VERY lucky to find our beloved "Snurf," (Avenger,) on eBay a few years ago. It's a 2005 with a 26 hp Kohler. It only had about 58 hours on it, and needed very little maint. (Oil/tranny fluid change.) Fortunately, it came with all the goodies...brush guard, winch, top, hand-rails. We added a motor-mount for a 55 lb thrust troller, and just a few days ago, a manual windscreen wiper. We also have brand new tires we plan to install in April. Having said all that, I highly recommend that year and model. Good luck!!
    "...So sayeth the Coffinman..."

+ Reply to Thread