Avenger HDI Review by me

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avenger HDI Review by me

Avenger HDI Review by me

I reciently had an oppertunity to take an HDI out for a good, solid 4hr trip, loaded up with a decent load (4 peeps, cloths bags, Food, Dog, ect). This is what I thought if it:

I am not a Kohler engine fan, but this one was nice to run. Good throttle responce and power to spare. If they ever figure out how to stop their heads from leaking, they might be on to something.

The tranny itself seems to be working well, very quiet compared to others. I don't like having to put it in N to start it, and think that Neutral Safety Switch will be one of the first things to fail. Power loss throught the trans seems to be very low. I'm on the fence about how good the High/Low range shifter works. It does not feel like a Positive Shift, and the one I just tried wanted to be idled forward or backward to complete the shift. Low range was great for powering through tight turns but there were some awefully strange noises that I couldn't identify, which made me reluctant to use low range. Low range also seems to be designed strictly for low speed use only. Turns at higher speeds in low range are difficult to control.

Steering is so different to me, I'm sure it's just a matter of practice, but, I don't feel that I have complete control at times. There seems to be alot of play in the steering before the brakes actuate, it's similar to driving my old ford truck. I kinda feel like I'm herding cattle down the road. Tight turns in high range are difficult as you can not make the tires on the inside of the turn actually stop. The good side of that is that getting stuck with only one bank of tires turning does not seem to happen.

Much cooler in the drivers area (Sometimes I think my legs are on fire in my Conquest)

Driver position is good, and the raised seat gives the feel of more legroom.

Tires are simply awesome. Aproach angles are great, this machine comes up out of a hole very well. Swimms very well.

Not impressed at all with the factory "Pushbar"

The body of the HDI does not seem to twist and flex as much when going through holes. Not sure if it has a heavier frame than the older machines. Didn't seem to effect performance, and I'm not sure if flexing more is an advantage or disadvantage at this point.

Exhaust pipe length......, do yourself a favor and cut it back a bit, it does not need to stick out past the Body splitline rubber. It's just waiting to catch a tree and get bent or pushed back and damage the heat shield.

Ground clearance is good, but with the extra hight it's getting more difficult for less agile elderly folks to get in the machine (Had to help Grandpa a bit). I found it to ride very smooth, took the bumps much better than mine.

Maintenance is easier with the new style Bearing carriers and grease holes in the hubs, ect.

Overall, I like the machine, I think it will be easier for beginers to learn on (for some reason my wife thinks Handlebars are less intimidating than Sticks). I like the Power, clearance, ride, it did very well in mud and muskeg. The engine sounds good and the Trans is quiet.

At this point I'm not crazy about the steering, and the price is kind of a bummer

Just my 2 Cents
    RD

That was a good honest review from someone well versed in Argos. Thanks for taking the time to write that. What about capabilities on the trail itself compared to your conquest. Did you find yourself getting through trails and particularly difficult mud holes more easily. I assume it was a familiar trail that you had been down before with your conquest?

It was encouraging to hear that it comes out of the mud holes easier now with the new design and tires.

RD,

Thanks for the review I have been wondering about the new machine it looks tough but I think I will keep looking for a conquest and spend the money on the tires and bearing upgrades I think that new tranny needs a few years of abuse to work out all the bugs. The price tag doesn't help one bit but none the less sounds like a good machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That was a good honest review from someone well versed in Argos. Thanks for taking the time to write that. What about capabilities on the trail itself compared to your conquest. Did you find yourself getting through trails and particularly difficult mud holes more easily. I assume it was a familiar trail that you had been down before with your conquest?

It was encouraging to hear that it comes out of the mud holes easier now with the new design and tires.
    On the trail, as mentioned, it's a very smooth ride compared to my Conquest. Power seems endless on a trail, if you want it, it's there. With the longer wheel base, the tires lift you out of holes before the tub comes in contact. Tight trails are tough in high range, only becouse the steering is not as tight. They are no issue in low range.
    The trail I was on is very familiar to me, and many of the tricky sections actually have names. I did find myself driving right through holes that I might have paid more attention to if I was in my Comquest, but then I might have made it just as easy if I did drive right in, you never can know for sure.

The machine seems to want to wander around on the trail more than I'm used to, but that could stem from lack of practice on that style of steering. It seems to take a lot of movement on the handlebars to make a correction from one side to the other.

RD

Cool Kool!!

Thanks for the input RD. I am returning to the US soon and a HDI is one of the first things on my "to get" list. I have read all the factory stuff and seen one up close at Ken's but not had a chance to give one the field test yet. I have some concerns about the transmission though. Just being new adds some "bug" issues for some I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the 2cts. Your opinion counts as far as I am concerned.

Still want a KID

Good stuff RD! Thanks for posting that.

RD who's machine was it ? and is the steering adjustable

Quote Originally Posted by wiskerhair View Post
    RD who's machine was it ? and is the steering adjustable
    Not long ago I posted a Thread about having to go on a Rescue Mission to help a buddy that squashed the back of his HDI with a load of lumber. The weight had caused the back of the Argo to sag down and the rear tires ate holes through the tub/fenders. That is the Avenger I took out for the ride. I would assume that there is some adjustment in the steering, but at the end of the day it's still a Hyd Brake type steering actuator. I think my issue is that when I have my hands on a set of "Handlebars" I automaticly assume that if I turn them a bit that I will actually turn the machine I'm operating. The "PLAY" in this HDI system is just something an operator is going to have to get used to.

RD

"Steering is so different to me, I'm sure it's just a matter of practice, but, I don't feel that I have complete control at times."

I think you just described the feeling everyone gets driving a machine that is different or new to them.
    I've always been a T-20 guy and driving an Argo the first time, thats how I would describe it. I've driven an HDI down a few trails and roads, but not to the extent you drove one and I was pretty well inpressed how it drove and rode, but for $20k+ I would expect to be impressed. I figure I'll own a 2010 HDI in about 2020 when they drop into my price range

I know how you fell RD when i switched from a Conquest to the Avenger. The steering takes a little to get adjusted to. Still i wish sticks were a option i still like them best of the two types. I feel more in control with sticks.

+ Reply to Thread