Homemade outboard mount

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homemade outboard mount

Homemade outboard mount

I've welded some 2x2 square tube to allow me to run an 4hp outboard off the back of my argo using the trailer hitch,my question is should I secure the top of the upright tube to the body of the Argo somehow, I'm not sure if the hitch is fastened to the frame & even then my weld may not be up to it anyways, but I'm not crazy about drilling holes in the plastic tub if I can help it.I bought a used adjustable kicker mount to make sure the motors prop can be sunk deep enough as it has a 15" shaft.
    This is my first AATV & it's a blast!

mac, there are a few threads on the site that may help you out if you search the argo forum. Here is one in particular that lets you see how much reinforcement others have used: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...r-bracket.html Beyond that, I am no help since I have zero experience with an outboard on an AATV.

Look at the pictures on the thread Mike posted. It shows a factory style hitch. I have a 9.9 Mariner i run in the back of the Avenger. A 4hp is no problem. Hope this helps.

Lewis

The guy I bought my argo from runs 20hp outboards on them. They rip them down the South Saskatchewan River. I don't have my rig here so I can't post any pictures. I will try and explain.

They used the hitch as a base. Weld a piece up from that can remember if it is straight up or if it follows the contour of the tub?? Then make a plate to mount you outboard at the top of the upright. Make sure you have a chunk of steel over the argo outboard mount. Weld your upright to the tub mount. Then weld a chunk from there down to the frame inside the argo. This is very strong. I was considering using it as a mount for a second winch. Sounds confusing but it is really not. I will post pics when I get a chance.

Thanks for your responses, I saw a photo from a 6x6 member name of Paul from New Zealand that is in the Argo gallery that is pretty much the same as mine.
    I found a used adjustable kicker mount locally for $50, looks good with the small motor on it, I'll certainly beef it up if I decide to mount my Honda 15 fourstroke on it.... as GreatWhite says 20hp outboards are used in Sask.I'll post some pictures soon.

it's not an argo but if you have a receiver it will work just the same, I tried this one out the other day and it worked perfectly with my 15 hp johnson .

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/mudd-...tor-mount.html

Quote Originally Posted by smokeeter View Post
    it's not an argo but if you have a receiver it will work just the same, I tried this one out the other day and it worked perfectly with my 15 hp johnson .

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/mudd-...tor-mount.html
    The only problem with that one, would be the lack of use of the receiver for anything else.. I think the argo outboard braket cost $120-130 and leaves the receiver free...

suzuki outboard2.jpgsuzuki outboard.jpgHere's my version, both my OB's are short shaft so I got the kicker mount. works well with the small motor I don't think I want to go any faster on the water....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
    The only problem with that one, would be the lack of use of the receiver for anything else.. I think the argo outboard braket cost $120-130 and leaves the receiver free...

I agree but there really isn't much use for the receiver if you're using the outboard in the water. its' basically use one or the other at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
    I think smokeeter's mount is removable like mine is, I thought of buying the argo mount but decided to go this way to save some money.

+ Reply to Thread