80ish 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 80ish 8x8

80ish 8x8

Hi all,

I have started to try and pull the axles out of the Argo, wow what a job! I have not even got one out yet as they are tight and rusted etc. I have even knocked the roll pins out and cannot get the sprocket assembly to turn on the shaft! It is so tight, unless I am missing something?going to try heat next weekend.

I want to put new bearings, flanges, axels if needed,chains in the Argo. I would like to order all the gear from a supplier and have it shipped to me. Is Richards relics a good place to do this?I have sent an email but no answer as of yet so not sure of this.

I also would like to put tracks on ( have emailed Richards relics regarding axle extensions) what other upgrades should I complete to ensure the tracks work ok?

Am I able to upgrade to the splined axles? Do I need them?

Also has anybody upgraded from mechanical brakes to hydraulic? I would like to do this, I have not seen a newer model but assume the steering arm works 2 hydraulic master cylinders. Can I buy this from somewhere? Or off an old parts Argo someone has?

All help is appreciated.

Cheers

Corey

Thanks for the reply,

Is there anybody that can help me on the other question?

I have read that the early model shaft sizes are not good to run tracks on, is this true and can I upgrade these?

Also if I upgrade am I able to get shafts the correct length that I don,t need extensions or does everybody use extensions?

As you can tell I am new to all this.

Cheers

Corey

sorry i read earlier but didnt have time to reply(at work). Yes the early machines with 3 bolt hubs had soft 1 inch axles not very good for tracks, you should be just fine with your 1 1/4 axles just dont use shear pins you need 5/16" structural hex head cap screw bolts 2 1/2" long with nylon lock nut thats all i ever use and yet to have a problem, i have axle extensions here updated version that accepts the HDi upgrade like RD showed in his video. feel free to PM me if ya need anything else
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

Thanks for the reply,

Unsure the hdi upgrade is? can you shed some light? I will definitely pm once I start getting into it as I want to make sure I repair/upgrade while it is apart.

Cheers

clicky clicky

Rock Doctor video production presents - Well, the thread explains his motivation for the switch but the video shows how he did it.

Thanks for the link, although this has lead to another question. The rear axle on that machine has the extended bearing housing on it, Mine has a standard flange( the steel plate a few mm thick) no grease points or anything, no seals. Am I able to do the upgrade that rock doctor did to the centre axle to all of mine which will give a grease point and a seal?

Why the bearing extensions? Was it a common problem they had before? Can I add them, and is it worth it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I will get better. Lol

Cheers guys

Also I have knocked/drilled out all the pins and went for a run. Gave it a hard time trying to get some of the sprocket Assemblies to break free of the axles to no avail. I am starting to think the only way to get these things out is to cut them.

Any more thoughts?

Cheers

Corey

your best friend for the job is an air chisel you will have to take all the tires off and try to hammer the axles in and out to break them free
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

+ Reply to Thread