Chassis Reinforcement

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chassis Reinforcement

Chassis Reinforcement

i need to make a engine cradle for my new motor thats going into my max ii. im shopping for metal and am looking for input. what metal should i use? mild steel or chromoly. the no brainer is chromoly. i no what the difference is between the two metals but is chromoly necessary? the chassis appears to be mild steel so i dont see a problem using it other than weight constraints.

i figgured a .25thick mild steel plate would be ideal to mount my rotax. the engine is rubber mounted so i think this will good enough. wat do u think?

you will be fine with 1/4 inch mild steel. for something as small as an engine mount, the strength and flex benefits of chromoly won't even really come into play, and again, for something as small as what your talking about the weight difference will be almost nothing. The only big difference you will see is the extra cash left in your pocket
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

did i mention im using 100hp 670 rotax? i think mild steel will b fine also. now i gotta order it

WOW.....I would like to see that take off on the back tires.Sounds good if the chains can take it.

id be more woried abought the jack shafts the shaft down the center likes to bend and the older style jack shafts like to sheer between the sprockets!!!! still that mutch hp sounds fun!!!!
    they dont call me mad because im angry!!!!! im just a little crazy thats all!!!!

hi
    use a higher grade of steel for engine plate
    higher grade =will not bend twist easily and will have an excellent wear tolerance
    eg my own engine plate is 350 grade plate
    my chassis is also 350 grade [difficult to fold ]
    tube cross members 300 grade
    standard grade steel classed 200/250

tomo

Quote Originally Posted by AWB View Post
    did i mention im using 100hp 670 rotax? i think mild steel will b fine also. now i gotta order it
    You can just head down to Metal Supermarkets on the corner of Kenmore and Elmwood, if you'd prefer.

2230 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo, NY 14216
    (716) 877-7494

They have lots and lots of stuff, and have a "drops" pile that might have just what you're looking for. Quarter-inch thick mild steel will be more than enough. Focus your money on reinforcing the rest of the frame, axles, sprockets and building a roll cage.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Focus your money on reinforcing the rest of the frame, axles, sprockets and building a roll cage.
    I do agree, I had a 1993 Max II, that had a little flex in the chassis or frame. I wish i would had stiffened it up a bit. gussetts work great,,, their small and work wonderful. Site member HIGHROLLINMOPARS rebuilt his hustler and he put gussetts in. He posted pics for references,,, check it out..
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

+ Reply to Thread