help with fuel problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help with fuel problem

help with fuel problem

Hi, i'm having a fuel issue.

94 vanguard 6x6, with a 16 briggs vanguard

My fuel is draining back into the tank when not in use.
    this would be fine but it will not draw it up to the carb before the carb bowl empties. Then I have to spray staring fluid dirrectly into the carb continuously until the fuel makes it up to the carb.
    I replaced my pulse pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, cleaned the tank and carb.
    It seems to idle and run fine once the fuel gets to the carb. Although It does not like to hold WOT for long periods, It will sputter a bit and then take off again.

I was thinking it may be a defective fuel pump? Is there a was to test the output flow?
    Also Is my filter suppost to be directional? so it will only flow one way?

I would check your gas cap.....the vent may be clogged causing a vacuum in the tank.
    No your filter will not act like a check valve. lol It was designed to trap the dirt, and have best flow in the direction of the arrow.
    Alot of Argo owners install electric fuel pumps near the tank to solve the starvation problem.

You could install a primer bulb on the fuel line
    and check for leaks.
    Could be sucking air at wot

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    I would check your gas cap.....the vent may be clogged causing a vacuum in the tank.
    No your filter will not act like a check valve. lol It was designed to trap the dirt, and have best flow in the direction of the arrow.
    Alot of Argo owners install electric fuel pumps near the tank to solve the starvation problem.
    Yup sounds like the vent on the gas cap. Mine did the same thing until i learned of the pressure release valve on my aluminum cap of my Hustler.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Quote Originally Posted by lunnex View Post
    Hi, i'm having a fuel issue.

94 vanguard 6x6, with a 16 briggs vanguard

My fuel is draining back into the tank when not in use.
    this would be fine but it will not draw it up to the carb before the carb bowl empties. Then I have to spray staring fluid dirrectly into the carb continuously until the fuel makes it up to the carb.
    I replaced my pulse pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, cleaned the tank and carb.
    It seems to idle and run fine once the fuel gets to the carb. Although It does not like to hold WOT for long periods, It will sputter a bit and then take off again.

I was thinking it may be a defective fuel pump? Is there a was to test the output flow?
    Also Is my filter suppost to be directional? so it will only flow one way?
    We had a Vanguard 16 at one time that would randomly do that what a pain now I cant remember the year but it had a vent line that exited the rear of the machine below the bumper and it was clear, replaced the plastic stupid pulse pump still had problems,we put a Conquest electric pump on and had no further issues.NCT

SO I went out tonight and checked the tank vent line like sudjested, The line was rotted and cracked everwhere. then removed the line altogether and It still seems to have the same problem.
    I did notice that the seal in the gas cap is starting to rott aswell, so I'll replace it next. I did notice the fuel clamps were a bit loose, so I tightened them up. I did notice the fuel is not returning all the way back to the tank, maybe only 3 feet back from the carb. Shouldnt the pump be able to pull the fuel up to the carb in the amount of time it takes to empty the bowl? aprox 20-30 secs. Also any ideas for a cheep low pressure electric pump in canada?
    I'm heading out on sat for a good day of mudding and would like to have this sorted out tomorrow if I could.

Take a look at princess auto if there is one close by.....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

You can get a posi-flo pump at many parts places.... I grabbed a CarQuest brand for like 60 bux and it works golden!

lunnex, just be sure to get a low pressure pump, 3-5 psi max. Install a filter between the pump and the carb. Are you going to use a momentary switch to prime the pulse pump or use a keyed circuit to operate the pump full time?

OK, so Ive been lazy as crap and have done nothing to address the problem lately. finally last weekend it became a large enough problem that It would die on a small incline. so I went to the local napa and ordered a 2-3.5 psi pump. Should have it in the next couple of days. 74.95 Now my new question is, can I leave the pulse pump in place and just add the new electric pump. that way if the electric fails the pulse will at least limp me home? or will the 2-3.5 psi damage the pulse pump?

+ Reply to Thread