chain / trans noise.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: chain / trans noise.

chain / trans noise.

When I picked up my 8x8, I noticed very loud grinding type noise over 5 mph. I checked the main drive chains and they were way tight. I set them to spec and the noise is all but gone but they still have a hint of noise as the torq goes from on to off while riding down the trail. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this on theirs? This is on an avenger 750 with 100 hrs. I'm thinking a nice beefy oring set would eliminate any noise......or maybe its my tranny oil is clean and full. My 6X6 is quiet in this regard.

I have yet to fix a "grinding noise" by loosening a chain, so I suspect you have an issue. I would recommend that you check your Axle and Idler Shaft Bearings, and do a "Lift Check" on the output Shafts on the tranny.
    I changed an Idler Shaft Bearing on a Friends Avenger one time. A cursory inspection turned up nothing, so he brought it to me (Actually I went to it, lol). Anyway, it was an inner Idler Shaft bearing, and when he turned the machine, the chain would pull the idler shaft up, and it would rub on the Brake Rotor.
    Might be the trans, but I would check everything else first.

RD

I have to go with Rock Doctor, check your bearings. My bigfoot did the same when makeing turns and I had an inner front bearing shot and an outer idler shaft bearing gone. Replaced all bearings to be safe and the noise is gone. my chains I thought were tight until my right front jumped the sprocket. I replaced the front chain cause it was loose and when i put the new one on i just barely got it connected. rode for an hour and the chain had all the slop again, it was the bearings.

I guess the use of the word "grinding" was a poor one, and obviously misleading. my bad.... I guess chain "harmonic noise" might be better. The main chains are not rubbing on anything(rode it live with no dash to see, hot day & hot motor yikes, I got hot.), the lower and upper drive sprokets have zero up/down lash (as determined by a prybar), and the oil is clean with no hint of filings or otherwise. Also, no noise when turning either direction. Like I said, most all the noise went gone after I loosened the very tight set-up. It sounds to me like simple chain noise and I know they are not o-ring style so I guess I'm wondering if anyone switched over to o-ring style chain to cut those harmonics down? thanks.

I believe you are right about the chain noise being harmonic. My avenger 750 was also noisy when the primary chains were on the tight side.Running them at 3mm side movement made a big difference as did sound insulation behind the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by wern View Post
    I believe you are right about the chain noise being harmonic. My avenger 750 was also noisy when the primary chains were on the tight side.Running them at 3mm side movement made a big difference as did sound insulation behind the dash.
    I think the tight chains, and way thin lube......leads to some irritating noise. I have since (proper chain adjustment) tried a heavier chain lube from pb blaster and its all good.

+ Reply to Thread