My fifty dollar 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My fifty dollar 6x6

My fifty dollar 6x6

Hey, new here and to these machines. this was sitting in a garage at a cabin in northern Wisconsin since 1981, the roof started to fall in so it was drug out and offered to me. no engine and pretty rusty, tires bad, bla bla, anyways i started to strip it down and found that the frame is bent. right center axle mount is bent about a 1/2" and leans pretty good, it bent the center frame down as ya can see by the jackshafts. startin to think its not worth it

from the front

Pull the frame out. Bend it back. Reinforce it. Throw it together and ride!
    It is well worth it. May take some elbow grease to make it right but for $50 you still got a steal!

It's easy to turn a $50 project into a $2500 machine. At first glance it may seem like you only need a handful of parts but add wheels, tires, axles, bearings, flanges, chain, etc. not to mention any engine/transmission work and the price can add up quickly. If you are into restoring older machines and have fun doing that, then go for it. Just know that at the end of the day you will have a lot of money in the machine and can probably buy something cheaper that is newer and better built.

It really comes down to what you want to do. There are a lot of members that enjoy the nostalgic side of the hobby and would have fun restoring the Argo but if you are looking to do any kind of serious trail riding, I would sell the machine and pick up something else.

well i do like restoring old machines and have done frame repair work, i have not looked into the trans yet so thats a unknown but i have plenty of engines and clutches to re power with. I'm guessing that i would have 1K into parts and my labor is free, well kinda i think i would be lookin' to sell it or trade for something else. if done right, would it be worth 2K at the end of the day?

Thanks for the replies

I am about to do the something to my Argo. I bent the frame at the Ashtabula trail ride; I am a little throdel happy. I am with Mike and think you can get some bigger money from a collector and buy something that has newer parts. Check with Buggyman and see if he is going to sell one of his machines, he is excellent at rebuilding machines. Good luck from Mike

If you don't wanna mess with it I'll give you a chance to double your money. Lol. Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by Twizted1 View Post
    If you don't wanna mess with it I'll give you a chance to double your money. Lol. Nice find.

You beat me to it, I had the same in mind.

Well i'm thinkin' i'll see if the axles pound out and can get the frame on some stands and see what i got.

I think, if you watch your pennies, purchase good used parts from members, and take your time finding the parts you need, you could put this together rather cheaply. It's fast and easy to get out the plastic and call an Argo dealer and order everything you would need, but it will cost 3-4 times more. Shop around for bearings and chain. I have found amazing deals on partial and even full boxes of good chain on eBay, and the guys at Buffalo Bearing always seem to give me a good deal on bearings. I personally enjoy the challenge of a budget build, and am more impressed the less you spend. I built my Colt Concoction from garbage, and did it for less than $1000 total. I made my own axles, bartered and bargained for parts, and sought out the best deals possible to do so. Check it out in my gallery. It will give you hope for your project.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I think, if you watch your pennies, purchase good used parts from members, and take your time finding the parts you need, you could put this together rather cheaply. It's fast and easy to get out the plastic and call an Argo dealer and order everything you would need, but it will cost 3-4 times more. Shop around for bearings and chain. I have found amazing deals on partial and even full boxes of good chain on eBay, and the guys at Buffalo Bearing always seem to give me a good deal on bearings. I personally enjoy the challenge of a budget build, and am more impressed the less you spend. I built my Colt Concoction from garbage, and did it for less than $1000 total. I made my own axles, bartered and bargained for parts, and sought out the best deals possible to do so. Check it out in my gallery. It will give you hope for your project.
    Yep, I too get a kick outta seein' what i can reuse/rebuild for little or no money.

+ Reply to Thread