Battery

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery

Battery

What size/style of battery do you guys run in these vehicles?

I was in the garage last night pulling the Hustler apart to get ready to install the new Honda motor and i was running an oddssey battery. But sitting on my bench is a nice marine cranking battery with no home? Other than the added weight is there a down side to running the bigger battery? I would think the extra reserve would be a good thing?
    The honda has the 21 amp charging system.
    Just thinking aloud.

Thanks
    Steven Untiet

hi
    Nothing wrong with running a 4x4 battery
    Or at least 400CCA [cold cranking amps ]
    Large 4x4 around 600 cca ,bigger than this would be a waist
    Most have around 75RC
    A better idea would be a marine battery which is approx. the 4x4 size/CCA and 95RC.
    This would be a good idea if winching .
    I use a 430 cca battery automotive 75 RC . 16 amp charge system No spot lights or winch
    The best thing u can do is put your battery on a at least a 5 stage automatic charger if left longer than say 6-8 weeks
    At least use a 5-7 amp 8-10 amp ideal FULLY AUTO MULTI STAGE charger A smaller charger amps say less than 7 will struggle to charge a flat battery . This size is only good enough for top up use .
    I also have a variable 5 stage charger 0--24 amps adjustable . As these are constantly adjusting even if u set it at 24 amps on a smaller battery it comes down all by it self .
    Using a 4x4 battery takes all day to charge and a mower battery half that

Batteries that are kept maintained last way way longer than one that cycles charge flat charged etc

There are batteries on the market that put out way less than advertised .Very true in the ride on mower battery range .
    tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 10-09-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Steve, the odessy is probably the best battery for the size. That said I run deep cycle marine batteries in the buff trucks because the are so easy to make fit. Some other vehicles I just don't feel it's worth the work to modify for the big batt. What horsepower are you going to? Be prepared to add a spring to the Honda governor to get proper speed. I have done several Hondas and just can't get rpm up with stock spring.

It is the 20.6 hp. GX 630 if I remeber right. What spring are you talking about? And I have room for whatever size battery I want. I think the marine battery is gonna end up in there. Lights winch so on.
    Steven Untiet

hi
    RC=reserve capacity typically the more the better for marine accessories radio lights winches
    To convert RC to Ah RC x .417 =ah

tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 10-10-2014 at 03:36 AM.

One thing I have found out about the deep cell recharagable batteries is that a reg auto battery can only be discharged to about 50% but deep cells can be discharged to only 25% left in it and still come back up.

+ Reply to Thread