How often are folks replacing bearings?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How often are folks replacing bearings?

How often are folks replacing bearings?

I know it might be hard to say because you might only replace one bearing at a time over time as they wear. But I was wondering how often people are needing to replace their bearings.

I'm going to look at a couple argos for sale this weekend. One is a 2006 avenger 750 with the rubber tracks. The add says "pretty much brand new with only 300hours". Hmmmm ok, but I'm thinking it either does, or will need a lot of new bearings over the next year or so if he hasn't replaced them.

The other unit is a 2012 750 HDI. It looks more warn out in the pictures than the 2006 or at least it's sun faded pretty bad. It doesn't have as many options that I want, and it's double the price.

I realize the two have different transmission and different axles. Just trying to get a gage on how much work I might have to put in the older machine if I go with that one????

It really does depend on riding conditions, whether or not you use tracks, how often you grease, what kind of dirt,sand or mud you are going through, etc. In terrible conditions like sandy mud you may only get 50-100 hours. In conditions where your bearings are not in the mud or water very much, you may get 600 hours. I would plan on replacing the bearings and chain on the machine and factor that into your purchase price. If you don't have to replace them, great, but if you do, at least you've got it covered.

For reference, I purchased a 2006 Avenger with 180 hours or so on it. All of the bearings and the chain were shot and had to be replaced. I knew this going in so it wasn't a surprise but that just shows you when a machine is abused/neglected, hours don't mean much.

Mike's points are very valid. I've got a '95 Max 2 with a ton of hours, but its only had 1 replacement set (complete set of six) and another pair later on for the front axles. But still in great shape. I've had other machines that the bearings didn't go 50 hours before self-destructing.

With 300 hrs i would expect the machine to be in good condition, when you get up to 600-800 then bearings, chains and sprockets are tired. Clutchs need attention, trans might need a rebearing, and so on.

It's 300 with tracks on? If so could probably use chains and bearings, probably. Jack it up and wiggle, no wiggle is good, tracks will have tension on front and rears when jacked up so more aggressive wiggle there.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread