750 hdi general questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 750 hdi general questions

750 hdi general questions

I have a few questions regarding my 2016 hdi I am hoping some of you can help with.

1. Is the hood fan a much-needed accessory for South Louisiana heat? I am having no issue with overheating, but I haven't run it a full summer yet.
    2. There is a fan shroud seal kit for the radiator inlet that is available. Should I buy and install for the same reasons as #1? Does it help?
    3. With the accessories I already have (front and rear light bar, winch, bilge, sound bar, interior lighting, and occasional hook up of trolling motor or seed spreader) if I add the hood fan kit should I also be considering the 40 amp alternator upgrade? I have heard it's not worth installing...
    4. Is there a better tire available than the stock Argo ones for better wear/swim ability? Mine are still good but I will need to start thinking about future purchases.
    5. Is it better to run more or less air pressure for everyday non-mud riding? I run 3psi currently for cushion comfort, but my dealer recommended 7psi which I feel is too stiff but is less rolling resistance for the chains.
    6. My front chains are stretched to the point of replacement. Some people have said do not use the half links, others swear by them as getting your full money's worth. Is there a final word?
    7. I have the other 6 chains adjusted to the 2nd notch on the cams and they are running good for now. I have 3 more notches to go. Do I use all of them before replacing the chains, or will the chain get to a point of wearing the sprockets before then, in which case I change them earlier?
    8. I know it differs with use and how well maintenance is done, but is there a common ground for when to start expecting bearing/seal issues? About how many hours?

I have been asking these questions to other people to get ideas as well, but nobody around me has any experience with these machines. We just don't see them around here that much. I appreciate any answers you can provide to help. And before I get beat up, I have read through the manual many times and have only found standard 'safe' answers, or no answers at all. I depend on your experience for real world answers. Thanks!

cdover73

1. hood fan will help improve engine compartment cooling which benefits belt,brakes,engine.
    2. not sure about #2
    3. you may want to consider the alternator. someone will help more with this!
    4. the Argo tire is the best option from Argo and swim like a duck but there are others like aqua torque(overkill),vendettas which max uses(basically bigger version of Argo tire)
    5. 3-4 psi will be good all around since the Argo has no real suspension but argo suggests 2.5-3 psi. having to adjust air pressure will just be a pain. 3.5-4 psi is good for all around and gives a good ride.
    6. BUY NEW CHAINS. never listen to people when they say use a half link. when the pins are stretched in the chains the will ride over the sprocket and eat the sprockets.
    7. im not familiar with the new style tensionser. someone else will help here!
    8.well every 25hrs the bearings need to be greased,im not sure how long they last but they will last some time if periodic maintenance is done. if your modle is 2016 the flanges do not have seals,the bearings are sealed but no axle seals. this was upgraded in 2009.

Thanks curtisbyrne! That's exactly the kind of matter-of-fact info I was looking for. I am actually able to figure most of this out myself, but it really helps to get opinions from those that has experienced it.

I do my 10 hour maintenance religiously. I use an open gear cable lube that penetrates the links and stays on very well without slinging. I don't remember the name of it but I get it from a supplier in the refinery. Very good stuff!

I wasn't aware of any upgrades, but that is only because whatever I have now is all I have ever experienced in my life. That's good to know though. I also check my bolts on the bearing extenders when I do my service and I haven't gotten any movement for a while so the cork seems to be set good. I get zero leakage so I guess that's a good sign they are all still holding up.

I am curious about the alternator upgrade though. Like I said, I was told by my dealer that it wasn't worth the $800 price and were a real PITA to install, but they also told me to run the tires at 7psi also...

that dealer seems like a real turn off from Argos to me. 7psi is outrageous and you would have no spine after a ride. you can always make your own alternator kit! but an ebay alternator or just Napa and buy a belt and rig up a mount for it. there are threads on here for it and $800 is just crazy i dont even know where that number comes from .Argo prices are nuts sometime

Cdover73, as it relates to chain wear let me encourage you to take an extra step regarding your tires. While you may be setting each tire to the same pressure, the tires can vary in size. Measure the circumference of each tire and make sure they are all the same. Tires of different sizes, all tied together by chains, will have a binding effect on the chain and potentially cause premature wear or chain breakage. I made a great big wooden caliper to measure the diameter of my tires, as running a tape around the circumference was a headache.

+ Reply to Thread