Is Neutral safety swich the problem?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Neutral safety swich the problem?

Is Neutral safety swich the problem?

Thanks for the welcomes. The neutral safety switch on my Argo has never worked right. Now when I try to start it the panel comes on bright and the brake fan starts up strong but when I turn the key to start I get nothing. Not even the click of a solenoid. I just found this thread and think it may be the problem I'm having with my Argo.
    ln December 2016 Blaster started a thread asking how to bypass the neutral safety switch on a 2016 Argo Frontier efi. Master Mudder replied:
    "Open the hood and locate the two green wires at back of hood. They can be unplugged and put together to bypass neutral switch. Most are labeledl starter bypass. ". Unfortunately, I missed this thread when I searched the archives a month or two ago.
    I finally found the two greens. They were in a tube all the way down to the switch. There are no labels on the 2017 Frontier 8x8 but I've seen photos of older Argos with the Override labels on the wires.
    So, is it really that easy. Reassure me. I just pull the two connectors and tape them together? Bypassing neutral start switches on other kinds of vehicles can get far more complicated.
    Wish I'd found the thread 2 months ago.
    If Master Mudder is still around, thanks.
    If this is not the problem then I guess I need to look to the other electrical components.
    Thanks for any other advice or comments anyone can add to his info on this.
    Eura

if you are referring to the microswitch on the shifter then yes simply connect the wires to by pass it.
    Other things to check.
    Do you have a good battery? are the connections clean?
    You can jump across the starter relay. If the starter turns over your relay is probably faulty.

Personally I would not disconnect the nsw ,with your disability starting the machine from outside of vehicle could allow it to start in gear thus further creating health issues for you with a simple twist of the throttle.
    If you remove the firewall and locate the switch on the trans, first be sure it is still plugged in 2 green wires, next you could adjust the switch so it functions properly only 2 small screws hold it in place, if the switch is found bad they are cheap and easily replaced.

If you are confident in not needing the nsw you could lastly jump it out, however be certain to tell all individuals that enter the machine that it will start in gear and make sure no one is in run over proximity when you do start it including the dog. A broke leg dog gains an attitude.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks Bob and Jim. I haven't messed with it yet. Good ideas and good advise. I hadn't planned to leave the switch off permanently. The dealer will send me a new one. But I will check out it's placement first to see if it just needs adjusting. I think I saw a YouTube clip about how to adjust it. I guess it could also be the linkage that's out of adjustment. I'll get back with you when I get this far with the troubleshooting.
    Eura

Neutral Safety Switch Result

Pulled the firewall and the switch alignment was perfect. Joined the two green wires and the Argo started on first try. Thanks for the invaluable help. I’ve got my redneck wheelchair back.

+ Reply to Thread