Any tips to keep chains from freezing?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any tips to keep chains from freezing?

Any tips to keep chains from freezing?

Any tips on keeping chains from freezing. Just from snow melting and collecting in bottom. Someone told me to try antifreeze in the bottom?

Take the plugs out after riding and park it so the water drains out of the machine. If you need to use anti-freeze, use the pink RV stuff that's non toxic.

Wondering if this would be of assistance. We sell it a lot to rock quarries in the winter here. Not sure how well it would "cling" to the chain, but if freezing is a big problem, it might be worth a try...

I agree with liflod. There are about a million lubes out there you could use, but it's more benificial to get/keep the water out in the first place. Not only does it freeze your chains, but as it freezes, it pushes apart stuff that shouldn't be. (Including your chains) Did you ever freeze a can of soda? I always leave my plugs out when I'm not riding. That way, any water that might get in flows right back out and don't have a chance to freeze.
    Last edited by Jeff t-boss; 10-30-2008 at 09:02 AM.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

I prep my argo, wash, lube, and then tow with drain plugs out in case of rain. Due to fatigue, and my buddies waiting on me, more than once I have rode off into the muck with drain plugs out
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

on getting the water out before it freezes. I use my Max a lot in the winter and when it snows especially with a heavy snow fall, it gets gets inside and melts pretty fast. In and out with snow on the boots adds more. I drain the water out by elevating the front and let it pour out the drains. What does not drain out can be removed with a wet/dry shop vac.

I leave the plugs out unless going into the water of course. If you have ever left them in and they freeze in place, you will always remember not to let it happen again . When at home, my machine goes into a heated shop when I am done with it for the day or night. Winter camping and during hunting season is another story, no covered storage, no heated shop, temps below zero don't lend well to preventing freezing, so draining out the water is a daily chore. If kept outside in the rain or snow, and if it is practical, try to cover it with a tarp to keep it dry to begin with. A lot of use our machines in the rain and snow and it can't be helped, not getting them wet inside.

+ Reply to Thread