Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget"

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget"

also, hypothetically speaking, say you were at a ride and fragged an inner bearing.... and just imagine that you didn't have a correct replacement with you... I think you could probably pound a bearing with a spherical outer race into one of those flanges made for the flat race. I also suspect that if (and again hypothetically speaking) you got lazy and never fixed it, the machine would still be working just fine almost 3 years later... food for thought.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Took full advantage of the 62 deg F temps in Cleveland,OH on Jan. 12, 2013. Yes,62! and partly sunny too! In order to access good welder(s),I need to take the mountain to muhamad,lol. The only transportation to and from work will be in my nice car with the back seats down,so,I wanted the frame to be free of crud to shed all over everything. Got the frame all cleaned,primed and painted. I will just remove the paint from the small area's receiving welds and touch them back up once complete. Spent the rest of the afternoon/evening using up almost all of my second batch of ABS goo. I believe I'm developing a "nitch" addiction to this part of the hobby (and it aint just from inhaling acetone fumes ). I just can't seem to repair/reinforce/touch-up enough area's with this stuff,it really has potential. I'll get some more pics posted soon. Meantime,Amphibiousdrew, I could use a little more donor ABS if you have any avail or could maybe grab some the next time you see Jeff. I'm thinking about a trip to Andover next wkend 1-25/1-26 so Meadville trip will fit right in.

Joe.

Glad to hear this, Joe. The 6 wheeler hobby is a slippery slope, isn't it? I'm sure you know this by now, but for anyone new to the hobby reading this post, be aware that our addictions only get worse as time goes on. In fact, I'm looking for more AATVs online right now. Anyway, I have all the yellow ABS you want and I have your floor pan too. I'll have make sure everything gets to Drew's this weekend for you.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Yeah Joe, like swift said he is coming down this weekend. We will working in a few machines on Saturday if you want to stop by.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I'm going to take advantage of the 40-45 deg temps they are predicting for Saturday and get the garage warming up early. Should be able to hide out there all day and work on toys. Jeff,thanks again for the ABS and the floor pan,we'll figure out something for that soon. Drew,thanks for warehousing all the stuff for me til I chance to make a trip out. As mentioned a few posts ago,probably 1-26 or 2-2 will be next opportunity to head out.

Brian,about the inner brg,can't decide if I'm more impressed with the determination of pounding the round peg into the square hole or by the shear confidence of leaving well enough alone for 3+ years.lol.

Joe.

Here are some pic's.
    Cut these "splices" from aprox. 1/8" thick ABS. Took the bottom one and buttered it up with some thick goo,then placed it on the crack that I glassed over previously. Then I glassed over the splice.

Soaked the T shaped pc in a jar of thick goo for about 16 hours,it was very workable. Waited a little more than two weeks before glassing over this and a similarly repaired corner.

Took care of the muffler opening also.

In preperation for the cold snap in the forecast I took the "MI" T-20 off of the cradle,or vice versa and brought it to the basement workbench. But not without first draining it. So,Jim,as promised I will do this one first. I got about 1/2 to 2/3 qt. of fluid out of it. The fluid was thin and free flowing even at about 35 -40 deg. it had a reddish/brownish color to it. No unusual odors,metal shavings or anything else in it. The shifters are free and move smoothly. They are not at all sloppy in their bores. When drawn snug,all four plungers protrude aprox. 1/4 to 5/16" out of the case. So,as of now it looks optimistic. Will most likely tear it down tue or wed evening.

Joe.

The waiting is finally over. Jim,you didn't miss out on too much here
    Upon disassembly found the right side band anchor pin bent,

I haven't a clue as to how we could do something like this,lol.
    The planet drum is a little rusted but not so bad that a brief session on the lathe won't cure.

Ring drum not as damaged but still needs cleaned up a little. Sorry for the blurry pic

This is the area of the band closest to the bend in the anchor pin,a little longer and ot would have rubbed all the way through. I pulled the "flake" off exposing the steel band in the pic

Just another view of the planet drum.

Here is a pic of the case as a result of the bent pin.

The left side is roughly in the same condition(less one bent pin).
    This trans will need;
    One new anchor pin.
    Two new bearings (they don't feel real nice).
    Seals (SOP).
    Drums turned on a lathe.
    Bands sent to Trans Crafters to be relined.
    A new right side case half if I can't repair the damaged boss for the anchor pin,yes,it appears the pin was ripped out of the hole,damaging it and bending the pin. WOW!

For now i will leave the output shafts,shift collars, and diamond shifters in the cases and bolt them back togather to use as a light(er) weight model for fitting the engine,etc.

Was kinda hoping to just re-use this one but it looks like I need to open up the "PA Colt" T-20 next and see about making one functional unit w/o purchasing anything(except seals) until the next one is required.

Joe.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 01-25-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Another productive weekend. Opened up my "PA" Colt's T-20. This is the 5th T-20 I have acquired and the 5th one I have taken apart. This is,by far,THE nicest one I've seen so far. There was very little "toothpaste" in the bottom of the cases,drums are in pristine condition,not a mark on any of the four. The bands have .030"-.032" of friction mat'l left. They measure quite evenly along the entire length of all four. The bearings feel and sound fine. Something was going on with the left side of the machine years ago because the sprocket is pretty shark finned,so the "MI" T-20's left output shaft will most likely get a new input shaft needle bearing and be put in service. Other than that,this trans will go back together with new oil seals,double o-ring plungers on the bottom (ring drum bands) and a quart of GM Auto-Trac II synthetic fluid. It should then provide many years of trouble free service. Pic's are on the home computer,I'll post a few pic's later.
    Nice and clean looking

Just scraped the sludge out

This is all the crud that was in both halves

Worn out sprocket

Joe.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 01-28-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    Another productive weekend. Opened up my "PA" Colt's T-20. This is the 5th T-20 I have acquired and the 5th one I have taken apart. This is,by far,THE nicest one I've seen so far. There was very little "toothpaste" in the bottom of the cases,drums are in pristine condition,not a mark on any of the four. The bands have .030"-.032" of friction mat'l left. They measure quite evenly along the entire length of all four. The bearings feel and sound fine. Something was going on with the left side of the machine years ago because the sprocket is pretty shark finned,so the "MI" T-20's left output shaft will most likely get a new input shaft needle bearing and be put in service. Other than that,this trans will go back together with new oil seals,double o-ring plungers on the bottom (ring drum bands) and a quart of GM Auto-Trac II synthetic fluid. It should then provide many years of trouble free service. Pic's are on the home computer,I'll post a few pic's later.

Joe.
    It's always nice when you don't have to do nearly as much work or spend as much money as you anticipated. Usually it's the other way around.

Yeah Mike, isn't that the truth.

Joe.

+ Reply to Thread