MAX track/UHMW bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MAX track/UHMW bearings

MAX track/UHMW bearings

2000 Max II, I know some of you all have made UHMW bearing extensions for your machines, How are they holding up? did you do away with the outer bearings's completely and just use the UHWM? looking at buying tracks for my MAX and will need bearing extensions, Already have 3 inch offset wheels so I should be good on that..the tracks I am looking at are the factory plastic segmented ones, Used and around 400 dollars.

I have uhmw outer bearings on a Max2. They work well and have required virtually no maintenance. They replaced the regular outer bearings completely. I bet the Guys at Adair Argo could even come up with a set of inner bearings if you asked, if so just imagine having bearings that are maintenance free.
    I'm not a big fan of the segmented waffle style plastic tracks. I think you would be better off with Adair tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by garretttpe View Post
    ..the tracks I am looking at are the factory plastic segmented ones, Used and around 400 dollars.
    They wouldn't be factory RI tracks, either Argo or Trutrax.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

thanks all for the response, the tracks are going to be 400 or less and look in very good shape, figured why not for that price, will still be better than no tracks, I have woods and no rocks so I think they will be good, Also I would use them in snow back in maine, I think they would float good up there. just my .02..
    I am convinced to make outer/extension bearings using just the UHWM rod

Tried using the UHMW outer bearing setup and did so for about a year. I am now only running them as bearing extensions along with the older Argo bearing flanges that have two grease seals and bearing. What I found was no matter how well I kept them greased (I even installed grease jerks and channels to allow grease to flow to the middle of puck thickness) I could not keep grit out which started wearing away the 4140 metal axles. This damage is not apparent until you pull the axles out. I would only try them if you install seals on both inner and outer faces of pucks.

Onlyonce, thanks, I have read here that one of the guys used a seal and I would do that for sure

I have fabricated UHMW bearings for my 79 MAX 2 but I went a different route. I split my bearing extensions to allow them to be installed and removed without pulling axels. I use a gore Tex seal where the bearing extension meets the tub. I also machined a groove on the OB end for an O-Ring to seal the axel. I split the o-ring to install around axle and then glue it back together with lock tire. The half’s of the bearing extensions are held together with 4 countersunk 3/8” SS cap screws with a thin coat of RTV to seal the joint. Use with 4” wheel extensions and factory RI rubber tracks. Just completed this project and haven’t yet tested in mud or water yet to tell how well it seals.

I’ve read about these types of extensions. However I went a different direction and made my own bearing cages on all three of my Max’s with great success. In fact one of them is used exclusively for fishing and haven’t had to bilge out since this mod a few years ago. If interested look up my thread “enclosed bearing cages” in the max category.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Jackmax2
    anyway to get some pictures?

Garrettpe, I hate to admit this but I am not very good with electronics LOL, tried to download pictures before but failed. Doing everything from my phone. If you want to give me a number or e mail I can get them to you that way. Restore boats, hovercraft and 6 wheelers but can’t use a computer, go figure LOL.

+ Reply to Thread