GMC 2500 vs 1500

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: GMC 2500 vs 1500

GMC 2500 vs 1500

Happy Holidays 6x6 family. I am here to get your feed back on my next buy. I am looking at getting a GMC Serria but I am stuck on Gas vs Diesel, 1500 vs 2500. I have been looking into which is a better buy for me. I do alot of hauling and a lot of long drives, case in point I'm from NC station in GA and Mel's from IA. So thats just a short look at our holiday travel not to mention when we take the Max's out or with us. So what do you think 6x6 world, Serria 1500 (gas) or 2500 (diesel). I need help tilting the scales in favor of one or the other.
    Oh ya thanks Andy for opening my eyes to diesel, thats the reaon for the debat now.lol
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

How about a 2500 with a gas engine!? Personally, I have always had gasoline trucks because I have never 'needed' a diesel. If you are doing a lot of heavy hauling or towing, a diesel would be okay to get. The thing with diesels is that they can get expensive....ie oil changes, maintenance, low-sulfur fuel issues, etc. If you are just towing a couple of 6x6's on a trailer, I'd say go with the 1500. They'll have plenty of power, decent mileage and generally speaking, lower maintenance costs. This is just my $0.02. I may be wrong because I have never had a diesel, so if anybody on here is a diesel guy, what's your opinion?
    -Attex ST/300/D - "The Duck." Family owned since the early '70's
    -Attex ST/300/D- Resto/mod project! (not yet started)
    -Attex 440 Thunderchief Racer (not yet started)
    -Attex ST/400 (not yet started)
    -Hustler 980 BIGFOOT- A work in progress (SOLD)
    -1999 Max Buffalo Truck (SOLD)
    -1989 Max IV - A Max four my kids. (In progress)

I only buy the 4x4 2500 HD's for the company trucks. Bigger brakes, rotors, bearings.
    Be care full some of the 1500's have rear coil springs and rear drum brakes now.
    I have less down time because of truck service issues. I get about 160 thousand miles in four years and sell them slightly under blue book which is usually half of what i paid for the truck.
    However i get the gas 6.0 engine. Just more practical for business and availability of fuel where i send my service engineers. I do believe the diesel is a much better truck tho.
    They are supposed to be good for a half million miles. But your going to pay a lot more for it. And 2500HD's are good for hauling 6 wheelers or 1500 series trucks when they brake down. Lol
    Last edited by Bill Gerber; 12-19-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Def the 2500 IMO. I've had both in the chevy varieties. Like others have said, heavier duty components, etc. I have an F350 with diesel and a 2500 chevy with 6.0. Hard to argue with my 6.0 SO FAR. I've had great luck with it (knocking on wood). I prefer the diesel for towing heavy loads but honestly have never felt the 6.0 in the 2500 has struggled. I only use these vehicles to tow or haul. They rarely get pleasure cruises. Only reason I like the diesel is I don't worry about a trip with the 150,000+ miles on it. The 6.0 has 160,000 and while it runs good, there's always that "it's gonna happen sooner or later" voice in the back of your head.

I just picked up a 2007 2500 GMC diesel. I finally had it with my 2003 dodge and the steering. I couldn't have been happier with the choice to go GMC!

Bought my first Diesel 3 years ago I will never have a gas truck again 2004 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 6.6 litre I cant take off to fast with my 3000lb trailer it will just burn rubber 650 ft lbs torq. when you get into high altitude it starts running like a sports car with that turbo on it its not affected by the thinner air as the wind coefficent that holds your car back gets less. I could pass lots of cars at 10,000 ft pulling my trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gerber View Post
    ...And 2500HD's are good for hauling 6 wheelers or 1500 series trucks when they brake down. Lol
    Haha Luckily I have never had to have a 2500hd tow my 1500 home (yet...anyway!) I've been pretty lucky (knock on wood). My 2003 Silverado 1500 has been good to me in that I have only had to put in a right front wheel bearing in the 3 years I have had it. If I could afford it, I think I would upgrade to a 3/4 ton. The only thing I don't like about the 3/4 ton's with the 6.0 are the gas mileage and the ride quality of the heavier suspension...but then again, I guess you have to take the good with the bad! My father had one for a number of years and we pulled our big camper with it like it was nothing.
    -Attex ST/300/D - "The Duck." Family owned since the early '70's
    -Attex ST/300/D- Resto/mod project! (not yet started)
    -Attex 440 Thunderchief Racer (not yet started)
    -Attex ST/400 (not yet started)
    -Hustler 980 BIGFOOT- A work in progress (SOLD)
    -1999 Max Buffalo Truck (SOLD)
    -1989 Max IV - A Max four my kids. (In progress)

I agree the 14 MPG is hard to deal with.

I have the 04 2500 with the Duramax and pull a 24ft enclosed trailer loaded and forget it's back there going up the long hills. getting 15.3 pulling and 17.3 around town, If it's in your price rang I would go for it, you won't be sorry.I had both gas and diesel towing the same set up and there is no comparison in power and mileage. Good luck

6x6 you guys are the greatest. As I read it seems like the 6.0 is heavily favored and the Diesel is unlimited power. So let me add this little bit of information to see what yall think is better for me. I have a 6x14 enclosed trailer along with a 7x14 trailer that I use to haul my Max II and Mel's Max IV, Busco Beach is no less than 5 hours away. This is the average trip me and the family will take, outside of that we will go to Iowa twice a year from Georgia (16.5 hour). Would a 2500 be over kill for that?
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

+ Reply to Thread