UHMWPE

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UHMWPE

UHMWPE

Anyone know if there's a way to identify UHMWPE from other plastics? If you were given the run of a store of offcuts is there any quick / simple way of identifying the above?

A mate of mine does factory clearance and has a multitude of bar ends, but what are they ? Some have colour coding marked on the ends but this means nothing to me.

Any ideas men?

Cheers

Probably could weigh them and measure the volume. Not the best solution, but given that uhmw is quite a bit more dense than the others....

Quote Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
    Probably could weigh them and measure the volume. Not the best solution, but given that uhmw is quite a bit more dense than the others....
    Yeah, I had thought of that. I know it's denser than other Polyethylenes but will the weight per c/i be much different to say Nylon (or other plastics)?

Not sure. There might be a chart out there in a google land that might have the two densities on there. Other than that, i guess it'd come down to doing some trails.. like a scratch test or a burn test.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
    Not sure. There might be a chart out there in a google land that might have the two densities on there. Other than that, i guess it'd come down to doing some trails.. like a scratch test or a burn test.
    Already googled identifying it and just came up with specs and chemical analysis, and I'm certainly no chemist. Bit of a bummer really as I may have a cheap source for it.

One of the mechanical guys from a place I used to consult had a great plastic identifying chart which I copied and I'm sure have save somewhere. It had a flow chart that covered the feel, flame test reaction, density, and other things that at the end helped you determine what type of plastic sample you had. I realize this does you no good, other than to know the information you want is out there and if you dig enough you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by phabib View Post
    One of the mechanical guys from a place I used to consult had a great plastic identifying chart which I copied and I'm sure have save somewhere. It had a flow chart that covered the feel, flame test reaction, density, and other things that at the end helped you determine what type of plastic sample you had. I realize this does you no good, other than to know the information you want is out there and if you dig enough you can find it.
    Never thought of googling a flow chart. You're a star, found a chart and can now do a rough ID on site to make sure it PE then a further test at home to make sure it's uhmw.

Thanks for that buddy

+ Reply to Thread