Yes they sink. Lol.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yes they sink. Lol.

Yes they sink. Lol.

7CD68356-0AD0-4F82-9E8F-4E7AB421EB50.jpg Sank the Argo last night. Boy it happened fast. Couldn’t of changed the outcome. What a saga to recover these beasts. Lol. Turned out to be a great time in the end. Spent today changing oil and changing oil. Lol The bilge pump was running but didn’t do anything on initial fatal mistake, investigated today, motor runs but impeller doesn’t spin. Suggest new owners check their bilge pumps by pulling out and looking at impeller.

How did you get it out? I would think all the water in the tub gets heavy quick at 8 pounds per gallon. there's a video of Dan Edwards argo taking on a lot of water at mudfest? Someone else was at the helm if I remember correctly and it was severly tipped to one side trying to crawl out of a flooded area or river. Pulled out by Dan in another argo but looked like it took some horse power topull it out and overcome the weight. Dan's wasn't nearly as sunk as yours. Always good to explain for others to learn.
    Hopefully Dan will chime in.

I initially went swimming to get the winch cable. I installed a warn remote, so I grabbed that. I attached to a tree and just got the thing somewhat level. Then I had a guy climb the tree about 15’ up and we used a snatch block. It took a a lot of winches to get it up bank. We had 3 winches snatch blocked to get it up. It was super heavy. It’s alot of work sinking these things. It’s a whole nuther ball game. Good thing I was able to call my friends and they came out within a few hours. I had a 6 pack and was done with the last beer once they arrived. It was perfect timing. Lol. Today was work on my Argo Sunday. ( wasn’t in the mood) had to get her running and some fresh oil in her. Still got more changes to do. But she was moving about today on her own power. I was happy. I learned a good way to change the oil in the process. You disconnect the spark plug wires, put a bucket under oil filter and let drain, then bump motor with starter button to get most of oil out. Works the best. Better than using extraction pump. So that’s how I change the oil on this monster from now on. Your right she was a heavy sumbitch. Lol

quite the adventure .... they are super heavy when full of water , snatch blocks and winches are the only way sometimes . glad you got it running again . johnboy va.

Yes, I’m glad she’s running too. It was an adventure for sure. I couldn’t beleive how quick she went under. A little water turned into a **** ton of water pouring in through the cooling grill. I couldn’t save it. I quickly flipped the bilge for some help, it was running but no water coming out. Further investigation, the impeller on bilge was broken from factory. So another thing I learned. Test your bilge pump. They pop out easy enough to look at bottom of it to see if bilge is working or not. You can visibly see fan blade. I think bilge may have gave me enough time to get winch cable . But who knows, when things go bad for me anyways it happens fast. I was very greatful for the 6 pack on board. It gave me something to do until the boys showed up. Lol. Good times.

I’ve been there. When your standing on the seat with water at your belt it’s over. Only takes a few seconds when eater comes over the side. The transmission will drag in water that requires a few changes to flush out.

Yup. Motor and tranny FULL of water. I’m on the 4th oil change on motor and second on tranny. A few more to go and I’ll run her for the day and do another one and call it good enough. Lotta work. Gettin old n tired to be doing these stunts. )

Glad you got it out Griz just keep flushing motor and tranny.

Thanks Bud, Currently have 12 filters. I’m prepared if it happens again. (Hope not) ))). I usually would run type f tranny fluid through-motor but I didn’t have any. I just used 10w30. She’s running good. Tranny I gotta do a couple more times. Drain isn’t quite at the bottom of tranny so it leaves some residual in there. I tried pumping but was just a pain. I think these things are pretty tough. She will be fine. I have faith in the Argo.

The good thing about these relatively low tech engine and transmissions is that after draining the water out and doing a few switchovers on lube they will perform like nothing ever has happened. I have one friend that sank his machine five times before the engine bent a rod. He made the mistake of leaving the engine running as the machine sank and the motor ingested water and finally succumbed to a watery death. But that was on the 5th sinking.

I have learned from the mistakes of others, and haven't sunk a machine, at least not yet. I do run bigger winches just in case I do. I run either 4000lb or 5000lb winches depending on how big the machine is. Water adds a tremendous amount of weight, and I like the thought of being able to winch out even if under water. I do also carry a snatch block just in case.

+ Reply to Thread