Custom/DIY Max II Frame, Cover and Windshield

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom/DIY Max II Frame, Cover and Windshield

Custom/DIY Max II Frame, Cover and Windshield

6x6 Team,

I started a project to construct a frame and cover for my Max early in the summer. The inspiration for the project was my Uncle. During a previous visit/hunting trip, he and I rode in the Max during inclement weather. We didnt take on much water, but my Uncle absorbed most of it. I told him I would make sure we stayed dry next time. Well he is visiting again this Fall for a moose hunt and I had every motivation to build a cover to keep us dry. I wanted a windshield but covers and windshields are hard to come by, so I decided to make them. I came up with an idea for a frame made of 3/4" EMT and it turned out pretty solid. More than enough to hold up any fabric or vinyl.
    Attached Images

Once I had the frame built, I ordered fabric and materials to attach the cover and windshield. The cover is made with Stamoid, and the windshield is made with 20 gauge regalite clear vinyl. There are some helpful videos on youtube from a company called Sailrite. This company specializes in marine grade fabrics and sewing equipment. They make tons of tutorials on sewing boat biminis and even windshields for.golf carts. So I used that same idea for the max. The windshield is simply measured regalite, trimmed with stamoid and attched to the front of the frame with riveted snaps. I wanted EVERYTHING to be easily removable, including the frame. In case I didnt like or want it anymore. The windshield turned out great too and I can even roll it up and strap it in place if I want to keep it attached on my outings.
    Attached Images

The cover took a lot more time with all the measuring and fitting and sewing... i came up with a design in pieces, measured each piece and sewed them together using waterproof stitching techniques. I used my mothers old home sewing machine... nothing special. The thread is a uv resistant polyester thread. Once I had the top and sides measured and sewn, I sewed some velcro strapping inside
    the sides to secure the cover to the frame. Seam sealer should help water roll over the seams.
    Attached Images

As for the doors, I wanted the doors to be removable as well. I sewed a zipper to the cover and across the top of the door. So its easy to attach and remove. I made them out of regalite as well, but need to add some more stamoid near the bottoms to provide full coverage. I will also add more velcro to help secure the doors to the cover and frame. I still have to work on the back of the cover, but the idea is to make it similar to the doors and zip it at the top and velcro the sides. This concludes my post. Im still working on it and I am by no means a seamstress, but I would love to hear what you all think and your ideas on how I can make it better. Thanks for reading.
    Attached Images

Very nice work! Attaching your cover frame to the existing racks is clever.

Looks like you are doing a fine job on the top and the doors seems like they will be easy compared to what you have done so far. I remember a few years back seeing a person's machine that was a neat design too, they took a liftgate from a small hatchback car, and turned it upside down and mounted it for a windshield and front cover of the machine. Just shows what a crafty person can come up with.
    I look forward to seeing your's completed. Just a suggestion from machines that I've seen over the years that have the engine covered, many air cooled engines leak exhaust emissions, just check your's to make sure you don't have a leak that will contaminate the passenger compartment.

+ Reply to Thread