Dan's New (used) Argo HDI or new 8x8 650 Frontier?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dan's New (used) Argo HDI or new 8x8 650 Frontier?

Dan's New (used) Argo HDI or new 8x8 650 Frontier?

untitled.jpghdi.jpgargo.jpgyellow Argo.jpgback.jpg

Wow what to do?

Okay after much dilemma and going over all the pros and cons of a new 8x8 a decision has finally been made. Up for grabs was a used HDI with the Admiral transmission, new winch, brush guard, Adair pro series belted tracks, bearings, chains and sprockets were recently replaced, the machine features the 31 horse water cooled fuel injected Kohler engine and over all is in very good condition- OR- a new (pictured) Frontier 8x8 with the old style 3.3 transmission and the 23 horse Briggs and Stratton engine and all the trimmings for a man who loves to run his machines in the swamp..

I love the old style 3.3 transmission with low gears and it's ability to lock down one side in mud and water, but I don't like the way the old transmission robs power to make a turn. Then there's the admiral, nothing beats the HDI in pure mud. I don't however like the low range in the HDI with the counter rotation feature which can be useful or detrimental depending on water and mudding conditions.

Finally the water cooled 31 horse engine with fuel injection and Admiral transmission won out and the used HDI was purchased and will be delivered some time this week, along with another HDI with the high torque transmission which will be delivered to another lucky owner who lives in the area. (Hopefully we will get a chance to run both machines together next weekend?????!!!!)

I should be at the Big Nasty ATV park in Effingham County Georgia with the new machine this week end if any one would like to join me.

Even my wife is excited about this and wants to come along and drive the new machine (wow). Should be a blast and I am looking forward to owning my first 8x8!

I was good, I never told anyone Dan.... Fred almost got it out of me.... Norm..

Dan, my guess is your wife will really enjoy the 8x8. They are just more user friendly for some reason.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Dan Maybe I missed the discussion but why the change to an 8x8. You had the argo then sold it to go back to your max and put the tracks and vendetta tires and sold it to go 8x8? Any particular reason for the larger vehicle, I know your son rides with you and maybe the grandkids I have seen in older videos, are you looking for more passenger capacity? Either way keep the videos coming this weekend. I'm in the process of doing some work and installing a 23hp in my argo but time is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    Dan Maybe I missed the discussion but why the change to an 8x8. You had the argo then sold it to go back to your max and put the tracks and vendetta tires and sold it to go 8x8? Any particular reason for the larger vehicle, I know your son rides with you and maybe the grandkids I have seen in older videos, are you looking for more passenger capacity? Either way keep the videos coming this weekend. I'm in the process of doing some work and installing a 23hp in my argo but time is tight.
    I have wanted an 8x8 for awhile, mostly I am looking for a smoother ride and floatation and this body is simply getting to old to do all the rocking required by a 6x6. You also have to consider how much time I spend pulling 4x4's out of holes and for that a heaver machine just works better. I will be the first to tell you the max with Adair tracks was a blast to drive but am ready to have something my wife can drive and enjoy driving with one hand with out putting a strain on her. She is not into all the rocking and other things required to get a 6x6 where you want it to go. I also want a better swim speed and to get that I have to go to an 8x8, since I have been totally spoiled by the mobility of Adair tracks which are unstoppable in the marshes and swamps I love to drive in I see no choice except going to an 8x8. I have to tell you I gave a lot of consideration to a Mudd Ox, but price is a big factor and I am familiar with the Argo and the mechanics involved in fixing it. I enjoyed both the Max and my Argo HD but now I am ready for a little more relaxed ride and I believe the HDI 8x8 is the solution.

alright! Congrats Dan!

Dan your dilemma is like choosing between two gorgeous women. I think you couldn't go wrong either way. I believe both machines are very capable and will deliver years of service. I do believe water cooled engines are the way to go in hot environments though and 31 hp is always going to be better than 23hp. That yellow machine is drop dead pretty though.

Congrats Dan!!!

I think you made a wise choice,as I am a huge fan of the admiral tranny,and the 31 hp. liquid cooled fuel injected kohler.I have tons of hours on the admiral,and I believe it to be tried and true.The low range is a little intense,but really comes in handy in nasty situations.
    The one big bonus that I really like is the fact that the fuel injected units start right now,even in 20 below,no choke, no feathering the throttle,just turn the key.
    The HDI/admiral setup is extremly user freindly,and is a joy to drive especially for the "wife and kids".
    I believe I have run time on your unit,and think you will be very happy with it.However,I can see your delema that you had,as that cool "cat" yellow frontier is one awesome unit,and it sounds like it's going to be up here for the swamp run,a great time to check out the track system on it,and I am very exited to see that thing in action.

Thanks FoxValley, the fuel injection was a big sale point, carburetors can be a quite a pain if they are allowed to sit to long and I love the almost maintenance free design of the industrial grade Kohler engine. I really do enjoy the high range of the Admiral transmission, when it comes to the wife the handlebar and power steering feel of the HDI will give her a chance to enjoy the AATV world. I also have several grandchildren who have been asking for an AATV ride for years, each of them will enjoy the chance to drive the new Cadillac.

The line starts in the rear children, everyone else in the back please.

Dan, just got a phone call, mine should be here around lunch tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice from everyone and I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to arrive. Looking forward to mounting the GoPro and putting some videos on YouTube. Thanks again!!!

+ Reply to Thread