riding in the sand

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: riding in the sand

riding in the sand

What is better for riding in sand dunes stock Goodyear tires or tracks?

Your footprint on the sand is critical. The larger surface area you have to spread out your weight, the less PSI you exert on the earth. Tracks would give you the greatest surface area and lowest PSI. The other side of the equation is power. Sand will rob a lot of power on its own. Tracks, depending on the type can also rob some power.

What kind of ATV do you have an what kind of tracks are you looking at?

I have no problem here in Florida with stock tires on flat sand. No spinning of tires and easy turns are the rule. Your post does say "dunes". I would think you would have to have tracks for that kind of riding.

On the west side of Michigan we have dunes that you can ride on, I just bought a Argo Vanguard that has new Good year tires and tracks. That's why I was wondering about the dunes.

Soft balloon tires is all you need in our dunes, I can go anywhere with 400 2-stroke.

I have no idea how much 6x6 tracks weigh but as Mike said "Tracks would give you the greatest surface area and lowest PSI" better have a big power plant to go with it though.

I put tracks on a Hummer H1 and it worked better before we put them on, but these tracks weighed a ton they just wanted to dig a hole to China..
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Hummer H1 and tracks that must be fun pics would be cool

I always wanted to try my Scrambler out on soft sand, I figure 6/8wheelers would be immensely good in sand. I've driven on beaches plenty with cars/trucks and from what I've experienced it's all about PSI, 37" BFGs at 40 PSI will sink every day of the week vs a Subaru with 18 psi on street tires. Of all off road surfaces flotation seems to be the biggest deal. Traction is only a problem once you start climbing hills, and then too aggressive a tread can get you in trouble if you lose momentum but are still applying power. That said 6/8wheer's naturally are designed for the lowest PSI possible even without tracks. I can hardly image tracks being needed even in the softest of dunes. Some Goodyear runamuck, or old school rimless balloon tires at 2 PSI should be unstoppable in sand.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurer 94 View Post
    On the west side of Michigan we have dunes that you can ride on, I just bought a Argo Vanguard that has new Good year tires and tracks. That's why I was wondering about the dunes.
    Ive been to Silver Lake Dunes. Didn't try test hill though.

+ Reply to Thread