8x8 Frontier 650 speed and ability to handle 6 people

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 8x8 Frontier 650 speed and ability to handle 6 people

8x8 Frontier 650 speed and ability to handle 6 people

I have a frontier 6x6 today, 600cc and would like to know if the 8x8 650 is really that much slower. According to the specs, it goes from 22MPH on the 6x6 down to 16 on the 8? We didn’t buy it for speed, and actually prefer the slower Argo as we have kids that like to drive on the land we have. We need something bigger as the kids are growing up, and the smaller one is getting to crowded and does sometimes struggle when loaded to max. I was hoping the larger unit could handle 4 people and a small load regularly, and on occasion, up to 6 people when we have friends over. I also wanted to put tracks on in the winter to get out to our hill and ice rink. Can it handle 4 people and tracks in the winter? 6? Am I simply asking to much of it?

Thanks

Hello jonc. Welcome to the site. Go on youtube and check out some of member Rockdoctor's videos. You'll be amazed how much an 8x8 Argo can handle!

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t concerned with the capability of the Argo, but rather of the 650 engine with 6 people and/or rubber tracks. I have a 6x6 with just the 600 engine, but it’s getting tight as the kids get older, and we are definitely pushing the 140lb recommended limit in the rear compartment. I can’t find any 650 to test right now, and I haven’t found any videos where people are testing the speed or actual real world capacity limit on this model. I know it’s entry, and most of my use case is on fields or in woods on my property where my Jeep can go, but if it bogs down with 6 people or can’t turn tracks, I may have to jump up.

jonc. I ran into a guy with a 8x8 Argo with tracks a couple months ago in the woods where I ride and he had 4 adults in his machine and he took it through the mud trails where I never saw a ATV or side x side make it. He had no problem with the trails. That's the reason I bought my Argo 6x6 last month just seeing what he could do with it amazed me .

I just recently purchased a 2022 Argo Aurora 850SX (8x8) and was really considering an Argo 650 (8x8) at first. I purchased it new from the dealer where both models were in stock. Sales rep said either models could go to the same destination but the 650 was likely to work harder, especially with tracks on it. The only difference I found was the 850 allows you to be in high gear the entire time with tracks, and (what the sales rep said) the 650 was going to be in low gear with tracks on to avoid over-heating the transmission. I really like the 850, but I know my wife would have preferred the 650 (given the price difference between the two).

I drove both models before buying (wheels only, no tracks) - I was really impressed with the speed of the 650 and what it could do. I think you could stuff four people in there (occasionally six) and get to where you want to go with tracks on it. The deciding factor for my purchase of the 850 was that it had a much smoother ride and turning ability than the 650, though.

Just my $0.02 here so take it with a grain of salt. Not sure if my perspective helps on the matter or just adds a little more bias to what you were asking. Thanks.

650 8x8 will travel as fast as any argo needs to go. The low end is all that really matters. 10+ mph (that’s very fast in an argo) isn’t really needed, and terrain dictates just how often you can even travel over 10 mph (sucking fuel the whole way). The reason dealers discourage frontier models from running the factory rubber track is because it is an extremely difficult track to skid-turn (among other issues). They know that more HP and a slightly more efficient transmission (avenger HDI / Aurora) simply masks the hard skid turning of the rubber track (or helps). So rather than say that, they’ll nicely upsell a more expensive machine because it has even more HP to flog the drivetrain because that is what is needed to skid turn the rubber track. The driver won’t feel the stress, and will be less likely to complain about the track being extremely hard to turn. A 650 can be set up to ve an awesome track machine, just not with factory track options.

Buzz is correct, I would never run the Factory rubber tracks on a Frontier 8x8 650. If you try to turn the rubber tracks on your carport you will leave your bearings and axles on the concrete. I could spin my Frontier 750 equipped with Adair tracks (air cooled 23 horse Kohler engine) with little or no effort and no strain on the drive train. Pertaining to the top speed, about 16mph with a set of Adair's, Buzz will have to answer for the bush tracks. Remember that the Argo 8x8 frontier 650 DOES NOT HAVE AXLE EXTENSIONS and that is a big consideration for running tracks.

Reference Carrying 6 people check the 1st video below below where I carried 4 adults into to worst swamp I could find (no issues) Also note my Argo tracks right next to the very stuck ATV's.

You will never run out of power with the 650 as long as you not try to stay with an HDI on an open trail, an HDI will walk away on every corner, but with a 650 with Adair tracks was the fastest swimming tracked 8x8 I have seen.

Last video is a tracked Frontier at the mud nationals, there is not a better machine in pure mud.

Finally my favorite- Mike with a Bigfoot at River run:

+ Reply to Thread