Introduction and land use question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introduction and land use question

Introduction and land use question

Good morning,
    1st post on here from Ontario Canada.

I recently picked up a "new to me" 2000 Argo Conquest 230 hours young. It's in great shape but needed a good scrub and some general maintenance. Now i'm in the process of closing it in. Basic aluminum enclosure (half cab) that I plan to top with plastic and have sides made by a boat shop. Canvas toneau cover to keep the back dry when it rains. The previous owner also pulled out the 20hp kawasaki engine and in it's place he put a 28hp air cooled fuel injected subaru engine EH72FI with a 30amp rectifier regulator. So far so good, although I wish it still had the liquid cooled engine for the sake of adding auxiliary heat. Looks like i'll be riding with the firewall out.

Land use question:

Can someone shine some like on the grey area of club trails that pass through crown land? Crown land use act says off road recreation is fine, but many of the trails on crown land are maintained by local atv clubs - that do not allow argo/XTV's. I understand I cannot ride club trails that pass on private/ township land but what about the trails that pass on crown land? Am I good to go so long as I stay off private/ township lands?

I don't like using club trails that other guys pay a membership for, but if i'm limited to crown land, I'd like to ride on all of it. Side note: on crown land you're not allowed to break trail, meaning you have to use existing trails, forcing me onto club trails in a lot of cases. See my frustration? Up here in Ontario Canada, crown land is for the most part dense forest, there aren't a lot of wide open off road use areas.

Cheers guys

Eric

im pretty sure that atv trails on crown land would still be restricted to members only.

Got some info from the Eastern Ontario ATV Club. Hopefully this will help settle some rumors and assumptions.

In short: Yes you can ride on club atv trails that are on crown land. This is due to the freedom of use act. That said you still need to be plated/ insured/ helmets etc... However if the trail leads you onto lands that are private or municipally owned, you would be trespassing as the freedom of use act no longer applies (obviously).

There you have it. Familiarize yourself with the crown land boundaries in your area and you may travel where you please.

Trust me, if you have a half top that is fully enclosed, you won't want the firewall out. You will be in short sleeves after running it for about 15 minutes no matter what the temp is outside. I have a heater/defroster kit in my full enclosed cab on my Conquest and I never use my heater (defroster sometimes). Once I have been running it a while I usually pop open a door because it gets so warm from the heat coming through the fire wall. It would also be way too noisy. Good luck with the new machine.

Great crown land trails east of Parry Sound..miles of hydro lines

I'm in Tobermory, and feel your pain. Just got an avenger, and have no where to go. So for now it's just my little plot of land.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I live just north of Goderich and have only one or maybe two places that I can ride. That being said I really wanted the machine to get to one particular spot for hunting where the quads can't run because they screwed up the trails so bad. Also the farmer fenced off the exit so you can only go so far and have to turn back which most guys don't seem to like. With the Argo on the tracks I can get across the swamp where the quads don't dare to tread.

+ Reply to Thread