No alternator...no problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No alternator...no problem

No alternator...no problem

Hey folks,

I've seen a few posts lately about alternators. I've been testing a new rectifier regulator for the last couple of months that may be of interest to some of you looking for an improved charging system.

Basically my stock argo regulator has been replaced with a new generation 3 phase regulator that is now being used by some atv/bike manufacturers. This unit (off a Honda foreman I think) was picked up off eBay for roughly 50$. This unit uses a completely different technology than has been used on regulators for decades.

I've attached a link that describes the advantages and installation in much more detail.

The upgrade fix >> no more charging/regulator/rectifier problems - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

For me this has been a significant improvement over the stock argo setup on my magnum. Higher charging rates at much lower revs are the main benefits. Keep in mind the output will not be quite as good as an alternator since you are still limited by the capacity of the magneto, but it is an option for those looking for a cheap and quick upgrade their electrical system.

Cheers,

KDG

Can you post a full write up with pictures, part numbers, etc?

Very interested in this upgrade can you give more information??

Bergrider,

Unfortunately the old magnum M18 is no longer with us (RIP) due to a complete crank failure a little more than a year ago (I have since replaced with a 23 hp vanguard). However the regulator upgrade discussed above worked well to the end. When the magnum M18 died I installed the regulator on my honda rancher 350 and saw an immediate benefit in charging at low RPMs on the atv as we'll which I use for plowing in the winter. Unfortunately I don't have pics of the install on the magnum M18 but the installation is very simple and is outlined with some detail in the link above (note depending on which engine you install it on you'll likely have one unused wire on the replacement regulator). If you scroll down the page on that link it is pretty straightforward. I bought all my connectors for the install at easternbeaver.com and bought the regulator off eBay believe it was from a newer honda foreman although it appears that the choice of regulator is not critical as long as it is a three stage MOSFET type). Sorry, wish it had more details for you. Let me know I'd you have any other questions. Cheers.
    KDG
    Last edited by kdg; 02-08-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Found a couple of pics of the three phase regulator just before I installed it on my atv. See pics under my photo gallery. Note the black wire from regulator goes to ground. The red wire from regulator must be fused and goes to the battery. The yellow wires would connect the the wires coming off your engine going to the regulator. Note that Argos will only have two wires going to regulator so only two wires are connected in this setup instead of three. The third spot in the connector must be plugged to remain waterproof ness. Hope this clarifies a little.

[url=http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/engines/p23386-image455

Cheers.

KDG

Thank you KDG for bringing this one up. Do any other members have knowledge of rectifier alternators...... Maybe a little 101 course on this modification. New products are coming out at a blistering pace. I do not have a background in vehicle power circuits. What is needed is an ABC on how this might be done.... with lots of pictures.
    Thanks again.

Thank you for responding with great information! It's the only problem with my vanguard is the lack of charging when you need the winch the battery is to weak under load to get out I 've got stuck twice with no way out without the winch!! I will look into the regulator upgrades. Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread