Has anyone put a fuel gauge in their Argo.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone put a fuel gauge in their Argo.

Has anyone put a fuel gauge in their Argo.

I'm still troubled that for the cost of these machines they don't have a fuel gauge. My rig doesn't leave the house without a minimum of 150' of rope,chainsaw,axe,tarps,tow straps,come along,boat anchor, and more. And then I've been known to bring home moose and caribou. I always carry extra gas but crossing a river or a lake is not a good time to find out your out of gas. I do top off the tank often but when you roam wild places that have things that can and will eat you its not always convenient to get out your head lamp,shake the machine, and see how much you have in the tank.

I’m “in progress” with a fuel guage. It’s incorporated into this:

which is going into my dash “redesign” on my 87 I/C.

The rest is just figuring out what resistance values it’s looking for and adding the approriate sender unit. They’re all pretty much the same when it comes to how they operate.

Sender has a float on a rod that moves a “wiper” on a coil which sends a resistance to the gauge, which interprets that value as a certain fuel level and displays it on the gauge. Whether the gauge is digital or analog makes no difference as that is internal to the gauge.

Last edited by great white; 05-26-2019 at 06:02 PM.

I know the theory behind it and a fuel gauge is a simple thing but its a little spooky to me to drill holes in a plastic fuel tank that gets used in a temperature range of 85 degree F down to -40 F the way plastics expand and contract with big temperature variations. I live in interior Alaska and it can get pretty cold in winter. I use my machine to plow my road and hunt predators and caribou ( you haven't lived until you have to pry a frozen caribou out of your Argo with a 2x4 ) LOL.
    Last edited by beagle man; 05-26-2019 at 06:19 PM.

What make of gauge is this?

I wish that some body could find a way to make a Max four type gas cap gauge work on an argo.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    What make of gauge is this?
    Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    I know the theory behind it and a fuel gauge is a simple thing but its a little spooky to me to drill holes in a plastic fuel tank that gets used in a temperature range of 85 degree F down to -40 F the way plastics expand and contract with big temperature variations. I live in interior Alaska and it can get pretty cold in winter. I use my machine to plow my road and hunt predators and caribou ( you haven't lived until you have to pry a frozen caribou out of your Argo with a 2x4 ) LOL.
    Can’t help you with that one. You either have to just “nut up” and do it or maybe try to get by with a stick on type thing like they have for propane cylinders.

+ Reply to Thread