few and far between

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: few and far between

Lots of Argos in Alberta. They are heavily used in the oil industry. There are rental companies here that rent out hundreds of units to oil and related companies. Then at a few years old they are sold by the rental companies leaving them more affordable for prospective buyers although usually not gently used. You can usually find 10-20 for sale at any given time on classifieds. Still I haven't run into one out in the bush in the 5 years I've lived here and I spend pretty much the entire hunting season out there and most of the late summer.

Since my first test-drive at a dealer in 2005, (about an hour drive from Independence, MO,) I've only seen one other 6x6 being trailered in Blue Springs. The only other member in this area lives about an hour north of us. While we enjoy being unique, and having folks ask, "Wut the hell is THAT thing," it would be GREAT to find other owners to camp & ride with.
    "...So sayeth the Coffinman..."

Over on the MAX forum, there is a sticky about http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...rial-year.html . It lists the SN and some info on the owner. But as of last count, the highest SN was 21698 but only 163 machines had been recorded. Do the simple math..... 163 recorded SN's of 21698 that is just barely 0.75% of the production number. If folks who do not use them are putting them up for sale, CL does not prove it. That means either a lot of full barns or a lot in the junk pile somewhere. I would sure like to find a MAX IV like the one that was down in MS on CL just recently....guy wanted $1000 as is....for that price I certainly would have driven 3-4 hours to buy just to fix up.

I'll hook you up with one for less money and less complete, in NJ

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I assume everyone has seen that Alaska program "Life Below Zero" where the operator runs a small dirt strip and uses her Argo frequently. She had some interesting experiences bringing it home.

Quote Originally Posted by hipowerone View Post
    If folks who do not use them are putting them up for sale, CL does not prove it.
    CL is a weird thing. I found my Max II on CL, but only after seeing them a few times in the weeks leading to my purchase. Believe it or not, I was looking for a tractor at the time. I was searching only under "tractor", and kept seeing them. I think I saw three, maybe four, before stumbling upon the one that became mine (twas cheap). I don't know if that is a function of local dialect or not, as I'm still new to the Inland NW of the US. I also don't know if it may be seasonal, since I just went looking before posting this and didn't see any. When I was poking through back in Sept/Oct, they seemed to be more prevalent.

Anyway, try the tractor section. You might be surprised what you see.

You could say mine is rare. In my life I have only ever seen three, I owned 2 of them! Many people see it and say they know someone that had one or the power company used to have them. I agree with the limitations and the advantages. It is slow as can be, rides awful, is as reliable as a 70's snowmobile but, it can take on any swamp, stream, pond snow, or mud better than any atv or utv I have ever seen. My favorite part of owning it is moving it on a trailer. The stares and the questions are fun. I like teaching people the history of the machine. I hope that it inspires some kid (like I was) to fix one up and save a little piece of history.
    Nick

They are very few and far between here in Central Ohio. I had a MaxII back in the 80's which was great until it was vandalized to the point of non-repairable, then went without until I picked up a MaxIV a number of years back. Everytime I take it to the lake to fish, people gather at the boat launch and stare. I guess they are taking bets if I am going to drown myself driving into the water.

i am still keeping my eyes peeled here in va. to see one. ruth and i will be taking a trip on the trike to erie pa. and north to buffallo n.y. along the lake in august... then over to vermont and back home. maybe the only way i will spot one is to drive by a members house !!! johnboy

well ruth and i just got back from a week motortrike ride up to erie, pa. then rode along the lake and up around niagra falls and along lake ontario a ways. beautiful country and great weather. anyway, on the way back we're going thru this little town of pike,n.y. and they were having the montana county fair. we stopped and strolled thru the fair checking out crafts, goats,chickens,cows etc. on the way out there was a auction co.s exibit with various items including a used max 4 ! not bad shape and bidding started at $ oo.oo. so theres the first one ive seen out and about in all my travels. no one was around so i did'nt get any history on it. anybody know anything ? johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread