Paint not sticking to floor pan (frame)!?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paint not sticking to floor pan (frame)!?

Paint not sticking to floor pan (frame)!?

When I first purchased my Frontier 650 from the dealer I noticed soon after that the paint on the sheet metal under the plastic floor pan was pealing. It looked like the paint never really adhered to the metal.

Last year I decided to fix that and coat the sheet metal at the front and rear with bedliner in a can (Duplicolor). I thought I had done a good prep job, wire brush and degreaser but the bedliner kept bubling and wouldn't stick. I had noticed that the metal had a different appearance in some area when I removed the original paint. Finally was able to do an ok jop with touch up. After one hunting season, the bedliner all flaked up at the same areas.

This year I figured I would do a better job. Wire brushed the whole thing off (that stuff is pretty good in the ares where it actually stuck to the metal!), cleaned it off with paint thinner and Simple Green degreaser. Used a primer. I figured I was in the clear, this morning I started spraying the liner, same thing! In some area the liner is cringling and bubling.

Any idea what is going on? Did something get spilled on the frame at the factory?

Is it galvanized? Just a thought is they may have used galvanized steel to prevent rusting. If it is, I am not sure of the process to paint it. I had a galvanized trailer that would not take paint but lasted forever.

You may need to use a etching primer to bite into the metal. Check with you local paint shop for a good primer and try that to see if it sticks prior to painting again

If it is galvanized, use vinegar (acid) to etch it. otherwise there is a product called BullDog adhesion promoter, comes in a spray can, used to be sold at wallmart, and is primarily used for painting plastics like car bumpers. Great stuff, give it a try.

It's not galvanized. It's funny you mentionned BullDog adhesion promoter. It's made by the same company as the EZ liner that I'm trying to apply. I even saw online that they say you can use BullDog for supperior adhesion. I'll have to check out Walmart. I have a can of Zinc Chromate primer that used when I painted my aluminum boat. I says on the can for aluminum and galvanized steel. Would it work for regular steel?

Edit: I looked again, the adhesion promoter made by the same company as EZ liner is Pitt Bull not Bulldog.
    Last edited by bcsteve; 08-31-2010 at 12:14 AM.

if it sticks to aluminum and galvanized steel it should be fine on regular steel I would probably give it a shot and see what happens and also make sure the paint thinner is all dry if its not it will eat the paint
    1969 Gip-Sea four stroke conversion 1983 honda Big Red 200E engine
    1969 ATTEX ST/300/D four stroke conversion 18HP vanguard V-twin

Well everything looks good so far. I used the Zinc Chromate primer and the beliner seems to be sticking no problem. Hopefully it will last this time.

+ Reply to Thread