What is the difference...T20 vs Argo???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference...T20 vs Argo???

What is the difference...T20 vs Argo???

I'll admit straight up that I haven't looked at the IPB but probably will just to satisfy my desire to understand the operating principles of both transmissions...that said, I'd REALLY appreciate ya'lls input on the characteristics of each tranny & the pros-cons of each..."real life"...I bought an Argo 6 wheeler with a "weather" shot motor...meaning the thing hasn't breathed a breath in about 4 years (in the rain)...today i unscrewed what I "think" is the filler cap for the Argo tranny & was pleasantly surprised to find clear & unburnt gear lube....I still need to figure out how much hp I'm gonna need to run tracks & whether or not I need to go with the T-20 or Argo tranny but tracks and snow are definite factors...

One thing I've noticed on this site is a general lacking to the mountainous regions with deeper snow & a more generous attitude towards the "Mudding" & swamp aspect...here, I can appreciate both.....here in the Sacramento Valley, I doubt very much, you'll find tougher gumbo anywhere on this earth or steeper un-negotiable snow covered hills a mere 60 miles away...

FWIW...when there is snow on the ground, I can get my gold mining equipment in without the minerals manager of the forest service district getting his panties in a wad...or knowing where I'm set up at....(unless he can pry his fat butt off the seat)

I could really care less what he thinks or does,but fighting him in a courtroom is both a waste of his time as it is mine, because I DO follow the rules...

Hi middlefork miner, if you will use the search, the transmissions have been compared a lot in the past and you should find the answers you are looking for. Here are a few threads I found to get you started:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...nsmission.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...-traction.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...-max-vs-5.html

As for the snow covered regions, there are a lot of members on here from the North that use their machines in deep snow on a regular basis. They may not post as much but there are a few threads around relating to snow.

There's no room for the t20 in the argo engine compartment, if that's what you had in mind.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Hi Middlefork, a longer machine (8X8) will handle the hills better and be more stable on hills, the laws of physics tell us that. Although having never driven, let alone seen an Argo in action in person, I can't see anything about them that would keep me from buying one if I were in the market. I say this because I have watched HOURS of video on you tube, of machines with both drive systems, and the one thing I notice is that in EVERY group ride there are BOTH machines in the video frames. In other words no machine has evolved to the point where it goes where no other has, the ONLY one that has is sitting on the moon! I am not blind to that, as some seem to be! Always before the t-20 machines would have been my choice(all the ones I have owned were/are) because of their ability to counter rotate, but now Argo has the Admiral transmission, and this ability, add to that the obvious advantage of a hi/lo range and the overall appearance of the Argo I must say It would be my choice of the new machines! RI has made NO significant changes to their machines in a very long time, while ODG seems to reach for improvement.

With all that said about new machines, if I were going to set about building one from the ground up the t-20 would be my choice to drive it, it is a proven drive system, requires no external braking system for steering and would handle all the HP one could put to it.
    Last edited by brushcutter; 01-01-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: unfinished post

Thanks for the links Mike...good reading. Since I got a really good buy on the Argo, I'm gonna stick with it for this first go-round...I looked around just a little & seen only 1 T-20 for sale & they wanted $1200+ so my $200 parts machine is looking pretty sweet right now...Looking at the different videos & pics of some of these sweet little machines has really given me some much needed ideas...thanks!!!
    Tom

If you're looking for a T-20, I have one that I can let go......new case gaskets and steering plungers and it works great. I'll let it go for $600.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for the offer but I'm gonna have to go with what I have...kind of like a Lobster appetite & hamburger budget...

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Quote Originally Posted by Middlefork Miner View Post
    Thanks for the offer but I'm gonna have to go with what I have...kind of like a Lobster appetite & hamburger budget...
    Hey Tom we all get to eat burgers while watching someone eat lobster once in a while

By all means, go with you can afford, that's what most of us have to do. I would think the transmission you have should do what you want it to. Hopefully some of the Argo owners will help you out with it, I have no experience with them, but that's because there are not many of them around my part of the country. Chances are that if there were, I would own one!

So... now that you have decided on your drive, what engine will you hook it to? Also, have you decided whether you will build your tub or use the one you have?

The jury is still out. Whatever route I take, it looks like I have my work cut out for me... First I'm gonna have to put some power to the tranny & try to figure out if it's gonna be usable...will this be possible without wheels on? I was thinking I could rig up a smaller hp engine (which I have) to do this?

You have not mentioned what type of Argo you have. This will set the wheels in motion.

As far as riding i have ridden in the mountains of West Virgina and the Avenger that i was driving pretty well handled anything that was there. I only rode there once but would love to go back and do it again. It was a 8 wheeled Avenger machine and we rode on old logging and mining trails. Carburetor with the standard transmission did great. At the time there was no snow but that would have not made any difference unless it was very deep. The argo tires which are 25x12x9 do well in the snow and muck

I am thinking going with a smaller hp engine will greatly reduce the performance of your machine. These machines are designed for power to weight ratio and when you go down that hurts it's performance. Going up is more of the way to go just look at how well Roger S machine performs. The carb Avenger has 26 hp the EFI has 31 horse power and it does make a difference, more power to weight ratio.

The new Admiral transmission is even better it doesn't kill you power like the old transmissions and that means more power to the wheels with counter-rotation in low range. Helps with tight turns.

If you are looking for a engine with more power since you said yours had gone bad you may consider a Bandolero motor from 600 racing. Actually they are less expensive than a factor 20hp and has 28 horse power and would add a kick to the machine. They also have refreshed engines for a little less and they may have a few of them. These are just a few thoughts. Good luck with your machine.

+ Reply to Thread