rawhides or chevrons

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: rawhides or chevrons

rawhides or chevrons

Ok, its time to buy tires for my machine. I think I will get them from Richard's Relics. The big question is whether to buy goodyear rawhides or carlisle chevrons. What are your thoughts, guys? I'd like them to be a good all around tire. I figure they need to be soft because of my small axles and 22" size. I want to do a bit of swimming, mudding and beach riding.

Hey Teeko,

If I squint, I can just about see Burlington from the escarpment in Lockport, NY on a clear day. Toronto sticks out like a sore thumb.

Are you looking at the Rawhide III tires? They'll have a good bit more traction than the Carlisles, but may not swim as well. They still swim quite well, but perhaps just not as fast as the Carlisles. Every machine is different, and the difference may not be as pronounced on your ride. I'm running the Rawhides on two machines (both with 1" axles) and I'm pretty happy with them. I air them down quite a bit, and just make sure I don't ride too hard with the smaller axle size. Remember that Goodyear doesn't make any ATV tires anymore, so finding replacements if you destroy one may become to get difficult in the long run....

Mike

i got 25" rawhide III tires on my machine, they seem to do quite well in water although i havnt compared them with other tire brands

Quote Originally Posted by teeko View Post
    Ok, its time to buy tires for my machine. I think I will get them from Richard's Relics. The big question is whether to buy goodyear rawhides or carlisle chevrons. What are your thoughts, guys? I'd like them to be a good all around tire. I figure they need to be soft because of my small axles and 22" size. I want to do a bit of swimming, mudding and beach riding.
    Don't buy tires from Richard's Relics. You can get them a whole lot cheaper elsewhere. Also, he doesn't sell true Goodyear Rawhides, his are "Rawhide style". They're actually Carlisles, which are a harder tire. If I were you I'd look around for some 22" Goodyear Rawhide III tires. What machine will these tires be going on?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for the info, guys. My machine is a 1970 argo with 7/8" axles. I heard that the rawhides were a little stiffer in the sidewall so I was leaning towards the chevrons for improved ride. I need 22's. RR quoted me $780 for all six chevrons mounted on rims. Is this a good price?

That's $130 per wheel, seems like the going rate. Tires are really going up in price and we don't have the selection we used to. Those are good tires for the small axles in that Argo.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Quote Originally Posted by teeko View Post
    Thanks for the info, guys. My machine is a 1970 argo with 7/8" axles. I heard that the rawhides were a little stiffer in the sidewall so I was leaning towards the chevrons for improved ride. I need 22's. RR quoted me $780 for all six chevrons mounted on rims. Is this a good price?
    That's not a good price, that's pretty high actually. The 22" Carlisle Chevrons are also going to ride hard because of the hard rubber tread compound that Carlisle uses. The earlier Carlisle Chevrons used a softer rubber compound, but the newer ones all give a somewhat hard ride. If I were you I'd look for another source for tires and then get some inexpensive rims and just have them mounted at a local tire shop. You'd save lots of money.

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...razy-high.html

Here's part of my post from that thread:

Many, many people in the hobby have been turned off to it, or given up on their projects because of the unreasonably high prices that he tries to soak them with when they're buying parts. He's just there to make LOTS of money. 6X6World is here to help promote the hobby in a non commercial way, and there are many generous members that sell parts here cheap, and offer low cost, higher quality, and do it yourself alternatives to Richard Clark's sky high priced items.

Here's what I'd suggest if you want to do this for a low price. First off, do some research here on 6x6World.

For the rims and tires, check around on the classified section of the site.

If you want brand new rims, you could get these ones here, very cheap......around $10 each!

http://recstuff.com/8X7-5-4.5-Silver...ler-Wheel.aspx

Once you have the rims, then just decide what tire you want and go from there. 21-22" tires will work on a Terra Tiger. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help you. This is the best place for AATVs on the Internet, with tons of useful information and lots of helpful members. Good luck with it!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

And here are some 21x11x8 Carlisles for around $64 each. You're looking at around $75 for each tire and wheel by going this route. A LOT cheaper than $130 per tire and wheel, especially when you consider that you need 6.

http://stopandgotires.com/modelsize....uctCode=599044

There are a few things to consider here:
    1. The convenience of buying the tires and wheels assembled and ready to go;
    2. The different tires have very different prices;
    3. JPSwift hates Richard;
    4. Supporting those who are really involved in promoting and maintaining what is left of the 6x6 industry is very important. When you buy from Recreatives, Richard, or a Max/Argo dealer, you are supporting a vital part of the real 6x6 world. These 6x6 companies will provide you with the parts that fit your vehicle without any extra research and run-around you'll get by finding parts from multiple companies that don't give a damn about the super low volume of sales created by 6x6 sales.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Jpswifts feelings about Richard is irrelevant. the fact is swift is dedicated to helping others in the sport in a selfless way. the advise he gives is always correct and intended to help others just getting involved in this sport. it is not advantageous for someone to purchase a $7000 machine from Richard and have it catch fire right afterwards. especially when the machine is worth maybe $2500. I am not against paying for service or supporting the little guy. I am against overcharging customers and selling inferior products which is what I believe Richard does.
    Last edited by Mike; 10-20-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: removed personal comments. Let's keep this civil so the thread doesn't get closed
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread