Hagen transmission

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hagen transmission

Hagen transmission

Well I've been searching for a long time on info and the patent located in threads here have helped me more fully understand the Hagen transmission.

TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

Now what I'm able to determine thus far from reading and testing, is the hydraulic control component of the transmissions function is entirely independent of the gears and function within the case. Two systems combined to make one functioning transmission.

Also the PTO input be it CW or CCW does not matter as you just swap upper and lower hydraulic hoses on each side to make the controls function as desired.

That the Annular piston that controls the clutches can be adjusted for internal clearances and lets say should be 0.039"-0.045" clearance from what I can tell from testing.

There are two return springs for each clutch piston to keep the unit in the neutral position when controls released.

What I'm not able to figure out except for a guess, based on one image of a yellow ridge runners engine cover, is that it used ATF for fluid in the transmission. I saw a NAPA ATF bottle in a picture of a Ridge runner one day and subsequently felt that's what it uses.

Does anyone know what fluid the transmission utilizes?
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

BUMP....

Anyone...???

I'm running ATF but if something is specific I'd like to know
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

I ran ACDelco Auto-Trak II in mine. No problems but not really used that much.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    I ran ACDelco Auto-Trak II in mine. No problems but not really used that much.

Keith.
    What was it in? Do you have any info besides the patent that's out there on them? I've reset my clutches to 0.075" clearance and it seems to build a bit less heat now.

I'm trying to find as much info as possible and any help what ever it is would be fantastic!

TY
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Hi Keith,

Read that and took it all in big time. Love the dohnuts in snow...I do em in gravel LOL spins like a MOFO for sure...better n any Carnival ride for sure LOL

Have you done any changes to the settings on your unit? Does it have a breather of some type for the case? I'm having some mild issues with heat buildup and subsequently causing oil to expand and then piss out some seals.

Also what level do you fill yours too?

Clearly I am in need of details not yet found LOL

Thanks for any help at all...

Oh and heard today this is also referred to as a rooter transmission or router don't know what way they spell it but sounded like the first one rooter...??? Know anything about that?
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

je Vien de d découvrir la transmission HAGEN ,je pense que c est très bien .il Ya la T20 qui semble merveilleuse .quel est la meilleure.
    Last edited by gérardb; 09-18-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gérardb View Post
    je Vien de d découvrir la transmission HAGEN ,je pense que c est très bien .il Ya la T20 qui semble merveilleuse .quel est la meilleure.
    Le Hagen est cool parce que vous pouvez inverser un côté tandis que l'autre est en avant. C'est un FRIM de changement en douceur vers l'avant Ã* l'arrière. Suppose aussi d'être forte. T20 est un grand transmission trop.

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    Hi Keith,

Read that and took it all in big time. Love the dohnuts in snow...I do em in gravel LOL spins like a MOFO for sure...better n any Carnival ride for sure LOL

Have you done any changes to the settings on your unit? Does it have a breather of some type for the case? I'm having some mild issues with heat buildup and subsequently causing oil to expand and then piss out some seals.

Also what level do you fill yours too?

Clearly I am in need of details not yet found LOL

Thanks for any help at all...

Oh and heard today this is also referred to as a rooter transmission or router don't know what way they spell it but sounded like the first one rooter...??? Know anything about that?
    I made no changes to the setting however the right side does have a slightly different feel than the left lever. My Hagen had a breather on the left side. I filled it to the center fill plug which was about a quart if I remember correctly. Hope that helps. Keith.

I made no changes to the setting however the right side does have a slightly different feel than the left lever. My Hagen had a breather on the left side. I filled it to the center fill plug which was about a quart if I remember correctly. Hope that helps. Keith.
    Can you please provide some detailed images of said breather?

I have been somewhat into mine of late, I removed one of the annular pistons to check if I could remove clutches or not.

So far no luck I've got to split my case to get at the clutches

I've got a slightly different feel on one side compared to the other too, my LH side seems to drive forward more than the right or the right slips more when fully engaged in forward direction. My leavers do not LOCK they have to be pushed forward constantly.

Here are some pics of it disassembled as I've said.

First this decal was made up just for me and the machine! LOL

Now onto the clutches and transmission shots, here is the bearing cap, and lock nut holding shaft in place and annular piston in place

Once you remove the cap and big nut, and six retaining Allen head bolts, you remove the annular piston by pushing on the control leaver forcing it outward which then slides out as you can see here

The torrington bearing in that first pic actually rides against the piston on the dark ring

There is a gear as seen here inside the transmission, it's what the small swash plate rides against, and the bearing then the piston

Removed that gear and this is what it looks like

After that you can clearly see the clutch packs inside and NO I cannot access them at all sadly.

After all this a little cleaning and some reassembly and I was done with my investigation.

However I did do a small video of the function of the annular piston!

Here is the video or a link to it LOL
    Hagen Transmission clutches and annular piston function - YouTube

That's what I've gotten so far, now I've gotta work on some clutches for the Kubota

Spoke to a fellow who says a Commet 780 Primary clutch and 860 Secondary clutch would work well the 780 with a green spring set for 1075 RPM egagement.

Nuff for now on this Hagen!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread