testing 70's argo transmission?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: testing 70's argo transmission?

testing 70's argo transmission?

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to bench test or otherwise determine if a 70 something argo transmission is operational? I just acquired a replacement tranny for my destroyed one from a fellow member. It was "thrown in" when he purchased an amphicat, so it is of unknown condition. Like my old one it is a very early one with no oil drain…serial 0241 (with no series letter) while mine was 4054G.

So my question is before I install it, is there a way to best guess its condition. I'd prefer not to tear into it just to discover its fine. BUT I also hate to install it, just to discover I need to pull it out again.

The oil was removed and appeared very clean with no metal bits. It all feels smooth and tight with normal endplay. The shifter feels smooth as it clicks into the various detents. When I manually turn the input shaft, the outputs function as expected.

Am I just kidding myself that all the gears are intact, the bearings are good, and the seals don't leak? If its bad, I'm gonna be pretty efficient R&Ring argo trannys when its all said and done

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions you have to offer.

Rick

Sounds like it should work. under a load is a different story. With only destroying the input shaft seal the input can be pulled to inspect it and a bit of the other gears. Pull the seal, snap ring and shims then install a slide hammer in clutch bolt and pop the input shaft out. You can't see the differential or main drive gears. The input usually tells the whole story. If there is zero taper on the gears, reinstall with a new seal and try it. You can also put something heavy over the input and install a large washer and bolt. This makes a slide that will pull the shaft. Hope it's a good one.

I sure hope that the tranny works well. I think i would listen to msafi65, cost of a few seals can tell you alot. The oil i drained was very clean. Good luck.

Thank you masfi65!
    I did not know I could do that. That makes a lot of sense. Before (and after) I do that I'm going to try a leak down test. I read on a two stroke forum that a good way to test the seals of a transmission was to pressurize the case to not more than four pounds. Then look for leaks with a spray of wd40, which supposedly will bubble just like looking for leaks in a tire with soapy water. I guess I could use soapy water too.
    While the main shaft is out, I probably could inspect the rest of the innards with a $15 usb borescope. Kinda sounds fun. Searching this site, I could not find anyone who tried either of these so I guess I'll go first.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread