Duromax 18hp to replace Kohler KT 17 questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duromax 18hp to replace Kohler KT 17 questions

I posted this here rather than the engine section because my biggest concern is physical fit in an Argo.
    I have an early 80s HD with the KT 17. The KT 17 needs rebuilt (Low compression, needs at least a rings, rods, seals & gasket kit. 1 cylinder has some pitting, assuming it sat with some water in it but should be good enough after honing). For not much more money than a the above mentioned kit & can have a Duromax 18hp with elec start shipped to me (About $475 shipped here in AK). My big physical fit concern is will the cylinder head clear the tranny? If so can I get to the oil filler & drain? Anyone know for sure (by experience)?
    As a side note, I know reviews are mixed but I'm interested in how these big single cylinder models handle an Argo 8wheeler. Anyone know for sure charging amperage on latest ones?

Thanks guys

Didn't get any answers to this in the Argo forum so I thought I would give it a try here.

I have an early 80s HD with the KT 17. The KT 17 needs rebuilt (Low compression, needs at least a rings, rods, seals & gasket kit. 1 cylinder has some pitting, assuming it sat with some water in it but should be good enough after honing). For not much more money than a the above mentioned kit & can have a Duromax 18hp with elec start shipped to me (About $475 shipped here in AK). My big physical fit concern is will the cylinder head clear the tranny? If so can I get to the oil filler & drain? Anyone know for sure (by experience)?
    As a side note, I know reviews are mixed but I'm interested in how these big single cylinder models handle an Argo 8wheeler. Anyone know for sure charging amperage on latest ones?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Mike; 07-09-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Merged two threads on the same topic. Please just reply to the existing thread. Thanks.

If it were a 6x6 I'd say yes, but for an 8 wheeler I think you'd be better off with the added torque of a similar HP v-twin. You can get the Predator 22hp v-twin from HF for $600, and Predator is by far the highest quality clone company out there. Another option is a used Vanguard/Kohler, from what I've heard you can find good used motors for around $500 if you do enough looking.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
    If it were a 6x6 I'd say yes, but for an 8 wheeler I think you'd be better off with the added torque of a similar HP v-twin. You can get the Predator 22hp v-twin from HF for $600, and Predator is by far the highest quality clone company out there. Another option is a used Vanguard/Kohler, from what I've heard you can find good used motors for around $500 if you do enough looking.
    Thanks Travis but the problem is being in Alaska.
    HF won't even ship it for me. I would have to arrange shipping through a freight forwarder that would have to pick up from their store etc. For a 125# item that can get expensive for us.
    Also buying used is a little tougher here. Not near as large a market. I've been watching for what you mentioned used on CL for close to a year with no luck.

Ah, I should have known better. How much would the parts for your KT17 be? If it's similar in price to the Duromax and you're willing to put the work forward I'd fix the Kohler and keep the extra power. One thing I was wondering about, does your machine have tracks? If it does I'm really not sure the Duromax would have the grunt to move them around.

I really wish I had my Duromax installed in my Hustler to give you a real world idea on the kind of power it has, but one thing or another has kept that project from moving forward.
    Last edited by TravisW; 07-11-2016 at 07:45 PM.

No tracks, 22" tires & a 4500# winch :-) .
    I can put rings/rods/seal & gasket kit in the Kohler for around $225 so that aspect of it is cheaper.
    The Kohler is just the old air cooled opposed twin 17hp but it seemed to have adequate power last fall in spite of less than stellar compression. I did run it in low range for my hunting trip (40ish miles total in & out) but it was plenty fast for me in low range.
    Without knowing for sure how well the Duromax will fit I will probably put the old Kohler back together & keep watching for a later used motor.
    Thanks again.

I would stick with the kohler. The engine is in the ball park for 30 years and that means something,just an ordinary engine can't do that,those engines are really rough and rugged and knowing that it is around 30 years old isn't the best felling but the kohlers are one of the best and have a god name for their selves. So do the work get her back up to par and it will last you another 15 + years!
    Btw you can always source parts on eBay or just buy and old kohler for parts.more people have kohlers on this site then duromaxs so if a problem occurs it will be a brezze!
    P.s. I have a kohler magnum 18 horse

+ Reply to Thread