Who's Driven a Conquest and a Frontier 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who's Driven a Conquest and a Frontier 8x8

Who's Driven a Conquest and a Frontier 8x8

I'm back in the market for a 8x8 Argo I have recently driven a Conquest and think it worked pretty well but have read a lot about how improved the new 8x8's are. I would like to know from anyone who has driven both if the newer 8X8's are worth the extra money needed to be forked out to get one, are they better on land and water? I hear maintenance is easier too, thanks for any comments.
    After the game the King and the Pawn end up in the same Box!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbles View Post
    I'm back in the market for a 8x8 Argo I have recently driven a Conquest and think it worked pretty well but have read a lot about how improved the new 8x8's are. I would like to know from anyone who has driven both if the newer 8X8's are worth the extra money needed to be forked out to get one, are they better on land and water? I hear maintenance is easier too, thanks for any comments.
    I own one and, due to job loss , have it up for sale. I have enjoyed owning it for the last 5 years, have made upgrades & maintained it very well! If the future holds ownership for me again, I hope to find another Conquest as it has been faithful thru ALL adventures I have had.

Personally, I would have a hard time buying a Frontier over a Conquest. The Frontier Tires can be mounted on a Conquest, so that effectivly eliminates most of the traction/clearance issues that the Frontier has over the Conquest. Maintenance is about the same. The "POWER" differance can be equilized with a little clutch work. The "Handlebar" steering of the Frontier is "Easier" to lear how to drive, but the steering on the Conquest gives you MUCH better control once you learn how to use it.
    EXAMPLE: with the Conquest Steering it is MUCH easier to simulate AWD, by allowing you to appy brakes {Traction} to either bank of wheels or both, as the situation demands. So, if you are in a situation where one bank of wheels has good traction (Lets say right side) and the other bank has no traction (Lets say Left side), ALL power goes to the bank with NO TRACTION (this seems to be the biggest complaint about Argo's from guys that drive machines with T-20's). However, this situation is easily controled with the "older" type conquest steering, with experience. Brakes applied to the left bank of wheels simulates "traction" to that side, causing the trans to shift power to both banks of wheels, keeping you moving, and you can still apply brakes to the right bank to maintain steering. So, in this example, you are applying brakes to both banks of wheels, but in different amounts, for different reasons. One brake is applied to simulate the AWD, and the other is applied to maintain/change the direction of the Argo.
    Sorry if this seems "Long Winded and Confusing", it's hard to put into words something that my hands do instinctivly by feel.

RD

Thanks Rock Doctor that's the kind of input I'm looking for, I remember being stuck and dabbing the brake to get the other side to bite and get moving, it is a good point.

There's plenty of nice things about the new 8x8's, if you have the $, otherwise a set of tires and some mods like RD says will go a very long way for a lot less $.

new

I bought a new 8x8 frontier 650 and after a couple of warranty repairs 1) bearing holder studs sheared -defective studs 2) brake line fitting blew I have been very happy with it. lots of power with the 23 hp briggs. I was looking for a good used machine with no success so I bit the bullet and purchased new. Its going moose hunting on the 25th....I can't wait.
    I will post picture when I get back.

You won't be sorry with a new machine but a good used machine(if you can find one) will definately get the job done.

Good hunting!

I think RD's description is spot on ! I have only driven my 00' BigFoot though,,,the New machines look Good,,But $$$ seems to much tighter now,,,for me anyways,,,A Good Used machine would have to do.

By the way,,,whats the difference between a Argo Conquest and Argo Responce ??,,,

Quote Originally Posted by m350 View Post
    I think RD's description is spot on ! I have only driven my 00' BigFoot though,,,the New machines look Good,,But $$$ seems to much tighter now,,,for me anyways,,,A Good Used machine would have to do.

By the way,,,whats the difference between a Argo Conquest and Argo Responce ??,,,
    I found an old ARGO brochure here are the differences between a Conquest and a Response: Conquest is liquid cooled 20 hp Kawasaki, no recoil starter, 200 lb more towing capacity, standard rear bearing extenders. Response has a Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 18 hp air cooled motor with a recoil starter, Voltmeter and rear bearing extenders are optional. The Response is 85 lb lighter.

Skid plate standard on conquest, optional on response.

Ahh OK,,,,,men thanks for the info between the two.

+ Reply to Thread