New hustler project - bucket of bolts

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New hustler project - bucket of bolts

New hustler project - bucket of bolts

I've bitten the bullet and joined the ranks of Hustler project owners. I bought it literally as a bucket of bolts - a big plastic tub full of parts - so I have no operating history. Even the transmission was all to pieces. BUT, thanks to this site I've gotten a quick and great education. I have a few questions if someone out there knows the answer...

First, what model is this?20160321_175036_resized.jpg20160321_175013_resized.jpg20160321_175050_resized.jpg20160321_175104_resized.jpg20160321_175129_resized.jpg

Next, has anyone installed a Briggs 20 horse opposed engine (not v-twin) in one of these machines. This engine has never been installed but my my measurements its going to be really tight!

20160321_182451_resized.jpg20160321_182451_resized.jpg
    My next question relates to transmissions. Someone left this T20 in water and one of the drums is pitted pretty bad (see pic). Others are slightly pitted. Does anyone know the tolerances for turning the drums. How small can the diameter become before the bands are unadjustable? I measured the bands last night and I have about .030 inches of liner material on them.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    I've bitten the bullet and joined the ranks of Hustler project owners. I bought it literally as a bucket of bolts - a big plastic tub full of parts - so I have no operating history. Even the transmission was all to pieces. BUT, thanks to this site I've gotten a quick and great education. I have a few questions if someone out there knows the answer...

First, what model is this?Attachment 14509Attachment 14508Attachment 14510Attachment 14511Attachment 14512

Next, has anyone installed a Briggs 20 horse opposed engine (not v-twin) in one of these machines. This engine has never been installed but my my measurements its going to be really tight!
    Congrats on what looks to be a 950 model.. HDPE body, and a good condition rear seat/ engine cover. the original engine was an opposed head 18hp briggs. look to make sure you have the engine mount. should kinda look like this.. mine is modified from stock.

Sweet project keep us up dated
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

Congratulations on the Hustler. That drum looks to be well past the salvageable stage as far as just turning it down. I believe one member had the drums turned down and then welded a sleeve onto the outside of the drum. They then turned the sleeve down to the proper diameter. Another member msafi65 was looking into welding the drums and then turning them back down but I don't remember if he ever got that far. Unless you just like projects like that, it would probably be better for you to post a wanted ad in the forum for the drums that you need. If you need more than one or two, you may be better off buying a used T20. They can be picked up in the $500 range.

Thanks for the info guys. Dan, my machine has no engine mounting plate whatsoever, so I'll have to fab one.

Mike, I've thought about trying to pick up a different tranny, but I might instead weld it up and turn it back down. The worst is the spot in the photo. Coincidentally, it looks like someone did a partial repair on that spot before. It looks like it was filled and turned. Surprisingly, the drum material is quite soft (meaning a file will cut it pretty easily). I'll let ya'll know what happens.

Miracle tool....
    Was having a great deal of trouble unfreeze the sprockets from the axles. All the heat map gas would generate was no good.
    I took an air Chinle and scored the hubs and they loosened up wonderfully. You don't have to score very deep.
    Attached Images

Sorry. That's supposed to be air chisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan67 View Post
    Congrats on what looks to be a 950 model.. HDPE body, and a good condition rear seat/ engine cover. the original engine was an opposed head 18hp briggs. look to make sure you have the engine mount. should kinda look like this.. mine is modified from stock.
    Dan,
    Where did you get those isolation pads?
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

Here's what I accomplished Friday
    Frame body.jpg

And I was not excited to find the tub busted, I had to learn to weld plastic right quick, which I did today.
    Tub crack 1.jpgTbu crack 4.jpgTub crack 5.jpg

Luckily, my machine had a piece of scrap plastic bolted behind the dash that I used as a donor for my filler material. I wonder if they all came with this??

+ Reply to Thread