Axle bearing question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Axle bearing question

Axle bearing question

If one of you handy dandy Hustler experts can answer a few questions about the proper inner axle bearings on a 950 I would appreciate it....

Is the inner bearing supposed to be a double flange bearing? By this I mean the inner race protrudes from both sides of the bearing body, as opposed to the inner race protruding only on one side for the set screws. This is important because the presence or absence of the double flange impacts (only slightly) chain alignment.

Next, is the mounting flange of the inner bearing to be mounted on the outside of the center frame rail (closer to the tire) or on the inside (further away from the tire)?

And finally, is the locking portion of the inner bearing to face toward the tire or away from it?

Thanks in advance.

First off the inner bearing flanges don't have grease zerks so pre-grease the bearings before installing. You can buy a needle fitting for a grease gun and cut off the needle end leaving a long skinny tube. Align the bearing so that the tube slides all the way inside the bearing and grease it gently not to blow out the seals. I used to install the inner bearing on the outside of the center channel. with the collar on the inside of the channel. so it helps from pulling the axle out. For the outer bearings I pre-grease them like the others. Install the flanges to the outside of the body. You can use 3-M strip caulk to seal the flanges to the body. the locking collars go on the outside of the body to help axles from being pushed inward. inside the tub you can get 6 2-piece split collars to go on the inner side of the outer bearings to help hold the axles form sliding out.

I rebuilt mine with splined axles from member Whipper. I no longer use the inner 2 piece flanges and use cast flange with zerg. I don't think you can use them on stock axles because it will push the axles out farther and cause misaligned sprockets because they are pinned.

Thanks Dan. Pregreasing is a good idea.

I mocked up one center axle this afternoon and figured out what I needed. For anyone else that might need to know....

A double flange inner bearing is useless. The axle is not even long enough to pass completely through a double flange bearing, so single flange it is.
    Next, the mounting flange placed inside the channel (away from the tire) with the locking flange passing through the channel facing toward the tire, and the axle butted against the locking flange, will produce perfect sprocket alignment with the transmission.

MY hustler had 2 piece stamped steel flanges on the center rail. When I upgraded to splined axles i switched over to cast flanges w/ grease zergs.

+ Reply to Thread