axles for a 950

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: axles for a 950

axles for a 950

Looks like I've a few bent axles that need replacing. Who has em and how much?

If you own a shop press you ca straighten them out if you are careful. I'd post a "wanted add" in the appropriate forum if you still need some. Or you can go get some splined axles made. Contact Whipper.

The hustler axles are an odd size diameter. Your best bet is to see if you can measure it and try and find 4140 round polished stock that size and have someone with a good drill press drill the pin/bolt holes for you. Get some extra so you can make more if needed. BTW if they aren't too bad you can use a jack and a rope to straighten them. I have seen Hydromike and Racerone3 use this trick during group rides and it worked rather well.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I have a broken axle on mine, and Richard Clark quoted me $135 for a replacement.
    19?? Hustler 930 Frame-out resto in progress!
    2009 Yamaha Grizzly 350 4x4
    2003 Honda VTX1800S
    1982 Ford F-150 4x4 351W
    2009 Ford Ranger

Do I have too many toys?...NAH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard85 View Post
    I have a broken axle on mine, and Richard Clark quoted me $135 for a replacement.
    Don't go through Richard Clark. There have been people that have bought axles from him that were made out of cheap, crappy steel and they snapped after a couple hours of light use. I'll sell you an original Hustler axle for $50 if you need one.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    The hustler axles are an odd size diameter. Your best bet is to see if you can measure it and try and find 4140 round polished stock that size and have someone with a good drill press drill the pin/bolt holes for you. Get some extra so you can make more if needed. BTW if they aren't too bad you can use a jack and a rope to straighten them. I have seen Hydromike and Racerone3 use this trick during group rides and it worked rather well.
    I'd be curious as to how they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by zoood View Post
    I'd be curious as to how they did that.
    Race tought me, and I think he said he learned the trick from JerseyBigfoot. Rumor is, he was on a Himalayan Spirit quest something-or-other and read about the method in one of the sacred Scrambler texts.....in a monestary.... guarded by...ummm... kung fu gorillas....yeah.

You need about a 6 foot long piece of 4x4 wood, about a 3 foot long piece of sturdy chain that you can make into a loop, and a floor jack. It's easier if the whole side of the machine with the bent axle is up off the ground for the procedure, since you'll need to spin all the tires on that side.

Take the tire off of the offending axle.
    Slide the 4x4 under the machine about halfway, beneath the bent axle.
    Loop the chain around the axle and the 4x4, keeping the chain as close to the body as possible.
    Rotate the bent axle so that it's at the "lowest" point.
    Place the floor jack *ON* the 4x4, and jack against the wheel flange.

Go slow and make sure you're doing it safe. You'll more than likely have to jack the axle PAST centerline so it springs back a little bit. You can fix them once or twice, but the axles tend to fatigue after several fixes. One inch axles are a piece of cake. Just don't scrimp on your chain. A ratchet strap wrapped around the axle and 4x4 about a gazillion times works, too. Member Krahsb did it this way on his Kadoo at Ashtabula last year.

There, now the secret's out.

Ive read this a couple times:

(Take the tire off of the offending axle.
    Slide the 4x4 under the machine about halfway, beneath the bent axle.
    Loop the chain around the axle and the 4x4, keeping the chain as close to the body as possible.
    Rotate the bent axle so that it's at the "lowest" point.
    Place the floor jack *ON* the 4x4, and jack against the wheel flange.)

Any chance of drawing a picture? Im lost at trying to view it. When you place the 4x4 under the atv. Are you placing it under the 3 axles, along side of the outer bearings of each? Is the 4x4 x6' suppose to straddle the underside of all 3 axles at the same time?

the 4X4 goes under the bent axle (parallel with the axle and runs all the way under the machine). I usually but it up against the tire on the opposite side. I have one semi together machine in the shop. If I get a chance tonight, I will try to go out and pull a tire and mock up the procedure. I really need to go ram a tree and bend one so I can do a tutorial video on it
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

There is a photo in the gallery from that Himalayan Spirit quest...um, er I mean ride.

+ Reply to Thread