Early style Max (Recreative Industries) track setup

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Early style Max (Recreative Industries) track setup

Early style Max (Recreative Industries) track setup

Does anyone have any information on the early style factory track setup for the Max II and Max IV? I recently found out what I thought might have been some "homemade front and rear bumpers" on my 1980's Max IV are actually part of an early style factory track setup from Recreative Industries for the Max II and Max IV. I would like to, depending on cost, restore the original track setup, if it's going to cost more than a newer style over the wheel setup I'll probably scrap this idea. It would be nice to know exactly what pieces that I am missing and if I could either buy or make them.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

I believe Recreatives still has all the blueprints for the original track setup. The tracks themselves are going to be very easy to make, they were simply snowmobile tracks riveted together. I'm not sure about the other parts though, but they could most likely be fabricated. I know there was a 6X6World member in New Jersey that had this same early track setup on one of his Max II's, but I can't remember his username off the top of my head. He bought his machine and track setup off ebay. Props to you for taking on the effort to get this rare early track system brought back to life!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Tracks on mine are factory,don,t know if style is different than yours but a decade newer probably , solid belt ,with aluminum guides and ye olde dependable metal lacings at splice. Tire size,(21 inch run on stock track set up) may require you to acquire another set if goal is stock configuration. Wheel extensions and bearing cages also come into play,(clearance from body due to track width and cage to defend bearing) along with a framerail strip of steel down each side of machine for strength. (on stock set up ). Poke around on this great forums search option as tracks have been built from sled tracks some where?. One member even suggested a material for guides could possibly be center opening type rubber wheel chocks sliced. Kind of depends what you have to work with, time ,tools ,parts scrounged or bought. I pulled front chains off to dodge windup and run tracks all year. Stored bigger set of tires. Recreative industries site shows same track set on a 6x6 gives an idea of guides and attachment.
    Width increase will affect trail width requirement and should be considered for any hauling of Max. to avoid surprises.
    Last edited by monoped; 01-21-2014 at 10:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread