16hp vanguard sudden noise

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 16hp vanguard sudden noise

16hp vanguard sudden noise

Had the machine tore down for a few months replacing chains, bearings, ect, ect. Got it running great finally, put about an hour on it and all of a sudden it quit running. Turned out to be an electrical problem. It was a dead short on the starter, a wire clipped into the starter had vibrated out causing the short, easy fix. I put it back together and it starts right up and idles very smooth as usual. Within in minutes i hear a small sound that doesnt sound right, a clicking noise. I kept the engine running to try to find where it was coming from. I shut it down, took off the flywheel cover and looked around, everything was fine? Put it back together and its still clicking but starting to get worse suddenly. Within a minute or so of the machine running, the clicking became louder and louder, almost to the point i would say its knocking. Some black smoke coming out of the exhaust but not major. When i turn the flywheel its smooth until i get to one point. Its hard to describe what it feels like, almost like compression in the engine getting past that certain point, but it makes a very low noise. Any help with this is greatly greatly appreciated!!!

PS... Currently i can start the engine with the click of a key, but dont want to further any damage being that the noise is so loud and terrible.
    Last edited by miillersickness; 05-06-2015 at 03:56 PM.

No chance a bolt er' screw fell down and is now stuck on the magnets on the flywheel?

Or a magnet fell off, been known to happen

I've had a something similar happen and it turned out to be a piece of broken starter gear that someone left in and wedged behind the flywheel.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will check all of those things tomorrow. I had another guy listen to it and asked his opinion and he thought it might be a rod knocking

Well I found the problem today. Apparently someone dropped a lock washer down the carb! It then made its way into a piston. Thankfully nothing is damaged, the top of the piston has a few scars but nothing major. Wow that was crazy

You got lucky.

Yep

ouch, need a cylinder head? break the connecting rod?

And then some..

+ Reply to Thread