Sidewinder axle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sidewinder axle

Sidewinder axle

Hi everyone!
    New owner of an old sidewinder. Hope this is the right section to post in. I'm trying to finish tearing it down. I have everything off but the left rear axle. Seems the sprocket sleeve is being a pain to get off. Im afraid to keep beating on it or I might break something. Should I just cut it off and get a replacement or have it welded. Does anyone know where I can find one? Might need a sprocket sleeve too.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site TNMike. I have some old Hustler sprockets but I'm not sure if one will fit your machine. take some pictures, count the teeth on the sprocket, and measure from the edge of the sprocket to the center of the bolt hole that pins the sprocket to the axle. I can take that and see if I have one that will fit.

To try to salvage yours, use lots of penetrating oil and take an air chisel and score down the length of the tube. That helped me tremendously when taking mine apart. Good luck.

Thanks dirtdobber! I just got back from Vacay and will get those measurements this week.
    In speaking of salvaging mine, are you talking about cutting the tube off the axle instead of cutting the axle? Never thought of that. Duh!

Thanks again!

Cutting the tube will save an axle, and even if you cut the axle you still may destroy the tube getting them apart, depending on the condition. What I was actually talking about was simply scoring down the side of the tubing. Look at post number 7 in this thread:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/hustl...ket-bolts.html

This worked wonders in freeing the sprocket tube from the axle, and I have done this on a machine way more corroded.

Thanks for clearing that up! Tried it and it's slowly moving off the axle. Got the rest of the outer bearings off with a shop press. Next I'll media blast the axles and shoot a coat of primer on to keep away the rust.

I've found out that if you use the air chisel on the back of the sprocket, it will come off the axle like butter. Just the repeated taps is enough to jar it off.

Also, while I've got it apart, I'll take some measurements and make a cadd drawing of the frame if anyones interested.

Yes, I would be interested in the frame drawing.

Cold foot

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfoot View Post
    Yes, I would be interested in the frame drawing.
    Mr Coldfoot -Your avatar is a hoot. specially from a guy from Alaska.

+ Reply to Thread