Bearing Change

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bearing Change

Got my axle out but had to pull with cage still on with outer two bearings still in place they won't budge.I am going to borrow a bearing puller to pull the middle one but to get the one out by the wheel will have to send it to a machine shop if its seized on like the middle one.I believe this is going to be a gargantuan task as the third bearing increases the difficulty even getting at the outer two but the high side is.....the bearings are shot.......light grinding when turning by hand though no play.I was surprised that the inner bearing is smaller I believe it is the 62 mm.

You're correct 72 outter and 62 inner for the bearings. part number for outside is HC207-20 and inner is SA206-20.
    The feat of sinking a max is a badge of honor.

go to the GOLIATH thread and look through it and you will find where
    i made a spacer to run a larger 72 mm on the inboard side..i did it on my
    old max iv also and its much better....

Well I'm up to my armpits in my bearing change,progress is at a snail's pace.I seem to have resolved most issues other than the locking collars.I have pulled two axles but I have one stubborn collar that just will not rotate no matter what.Liberal penetrating fluid set screw out tries punch with large hammer,tried both ways to no avail.I even have an air chisel with a punch in it,I'm stuck.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would take a break for a couple of days go work on the axles. what ever it takes to soak that collar in penatrating oil(i use PB-blaster)but let it set for a day or two everytime you are near it spray it again.I have found (for me) this does two things it lets the oil do it's job and the best parts about it is it calms my butt down. Then when that does not work cut it off. Try the first idea first though.

LOL...sound advice.I finally got it but it was brutal.The penetrating fluid coupled with patience will win the race.LOL I have lots of penetrating fluid.

I'm doing OK so far on my bearing project.Got all axles out and I am starting a clean up to ready for re-installation.I have a couple of bearings (outermost of the three) that won't come off in part because it is too close to the wheel to get a good crack at with a brass drift.How much heat can the axle stand as I think the bearing will have to be cut off or heated?

Just cut it off. If you are using a cut-off wheel, cut the outer race off. Then the bearings and cage will be easy to remove, leaving only the inner race on the axle. Cut it carefully with the cut-off wheel so that you don't cut into the axle. You may have to cut it twice, 180 degrees from each other, but once you have the two cuts, you can usually take a chisel and hammer and just pop the race off. I made it sound more complicated than it is. Really, it won't take much cutting to get it loose.

Wear safety glasses/goggles when using a cutoff wheel, I got a bit of metal in my eye that promptly rusted doing a MaxII bearing change, and had to be drilled out, like this: « Rust Ring on Cornea (Photo) RootAtlas

Followed your advice each, Mike and Guy.Worked like a charm.Eye protection is crucial when using hammers,punches,chisels or grinders.A good working Max is no good without eyes to drive it.Thanks Boys.

+ Reply to Thread