What type plastic in 92 Max iv

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What type plastic in 92 Max iv

What type plastic in 92 Max iv

I have a crack in tub of my 92 max iv and need to know what type plastic this tub is to buy the right plastic welding rod PE, PP, ABS, PVC

Thanks

Your Max is High Density Polyethelene. Just about every Max, except for the very early models in the early 70's have a poly body. Good luck with the repair.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

You may want to consider just cannibalizing a strip off the body in a spot it isn't needed and doesn't show that way you are sure it is the same.

I see that this post is aged but I am also wondering what type of plastic my MAX II is, only serial number I found was on the engine and found the engine to be a 1979 Kohler. I had a plastic shop use just about every type of plastic to attempt a repair and he was stumped as nothing he used stuck. My lower was extremely abused and now I am left with large tears and cracks all over, possible time for a new or used lower and use this one as a trailer or something. Any help please, this is the biggest hurdle next to others to get her up and floatable and safe. What is the year breakdown for the different type of plastics used?

Early ones were fiberglass. Your serial number will be stamped on top of the top of the frame part in front of the battery. The stamping is very small, usually need to sand frame to see it. Should be weldable if enough material is available. I have scrap tub and I'm sure there is more closer to you. The original material works good as filler.

Gimlet: Plastic welding is skill set....perhaps even an art. I've done it many times with mixed results. Some times it holds fine, and others crack apart when the tub flexes. The problem is that the plastic has a small heat window between hot enough to fuse and melting. Then add in that enough pressure (PSI) must be applied to make the 2 pieces fuse together. Contaminants, flexing and other factors will weaken the patch.........

On the other hand.......here is what I have done with a special epoxy, and it has worked perfectly every time.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...-tall-tub.html

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/attex...ter-truck.html

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Gimlet: Plastic welding is skill set....perhaps even an art. I've done it many times with mixed results. Some times it holds fine, and others crack apart when the tub flexes. The problem is that the plastic has a small heat window between hot enough to fuse and melting. Then add in that enough pressure (PSI) must be applied to make the 2 pieces fuse together. Contaminants, flexing and other factors will weaken the patch.........

On the other hand.......here is what I have done with a special epoxy, and it has worked perfectly every time.

Found mixed results to say the least, sometimes it will fuse like butter and others you will walk away and it's only stuck to one piece, flexing is a major cause as when the pieces cool differently they detach.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hay Buggy what epoxy did you use ?
    Have a rub hole in a lower tub to patch. Also need to find some filler prices ?

Thank you guys for the replies. MSAFI65 I had to look at your profile to see where you were located, wish you were closer, but I will keep you in mind if it comes down to it. The shop up in TN hasn't got back to me about any extra parts, if anyone near AL can get back to me. I will be making a road trip to Pampa TX so if anyone has extra parts along the north ( I-40 ) route please hit me up. Buggyman I will attempt you trick, the lower overlap is a good idea and your ride is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge View Post
    Hay Buggy what epoxy did you use ?
    Have a rub hole in a lower tub to patch. Also need to find some filler prices ?
    I used this: WEST SYSTEM | Specialty Epoxies - G/flex
    Just remember that the prep work is everything. WEST SYSTEM | Specialty Epoxies - G/flex

+ Reply to Thread