Max IV Lateral images needed!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV Lateral images needed!!

Max IV Lateral images needed!!

So I'm putting my max back together finally and I was careful to take lots of pix during disassembly to help with reassembly. What I noticed yesterday was that I had clearance issues between the right lateral and the shifter. Specifically where the tab extends from the bottom of the horizonal tube of the shifter, where it connects to the shifter linkage, it is rubbing against the right lateral tube. I've looked at my pics over and over and it seems like I have reinstalled everything as it was previously, however now I have the issue with the shifter rubbing against the right lateral control tube. I'm sure that the two controls shouldn't be making contact. Anyone have any clear images of this area on their Max IV that they can share?

FYI, the machine was inoperable when I purchased it and I never checked to see if there was clearance or binding issues in this area prior to disassembly

Hi Rick,

I don't have any pictures to offer, but I know exactly what you're talking about, and it shouldn't be rubbing. I haven't taken apart a IV in a while, but is there a chance that you have the left and right laterals swapped? I'm not sure if they're symmetrical, or if the spacing is different. If the spacing is indeed different, perhaps the previous owner took it apart, put it back together incorrectly, and you're just duplicating his error. Just a thought....

http://www.6x6world.com/images/recre...Parts-List.pdf
    The picture is from the Max/Muddox website.
    The parts list shows the left and right the same part number. Maybe you need a spacer between the laterals? PVC pipe or equivalent.

hydromike,

I suppose it's possible that the levers were installed incorrectly at some point in the past and I duplicated the effort, true enough. I'm a bit disadvantaged having never owned one of these machines nor have I ever worked on one, so my knowledge is limited to what I've read on here and just plain common mechanical sense.

Yesterday I put the levers and linkage in as they were previously installed. The right lever with the throttle is canted slightly to the right at the upper portion (like many but not all pics I've seen on here) of the lever and the opposite is true for the left lever. Anyway, the levers went in well and it wasn't until I installed the shifter that I noticed clearance issues. I thought perhaps that the issue could be due to the placement of the T20 lateral springs and lateral linkages at the gearbox but I don't see how they could be attached any other way than what they are now and were previously.

I've looked at hundreds of pictures on here to trying to compare other machines to mine with no luck. The parts manual is basically no help at all so I'm toast there too. I guess I may have to do some engineering since it doesn't seem as if the lever placement is all that critical as long as control binding or interference doesn't occur. I can say that I think it's odd that both of my laterals have the linkage attaching pins on the left side of the levers. In other words my left lateral pin protrudes from the left side of the lever and the right lateral at the attaching point has the pin welded to the left side of the lever, yes welded. I think what I'll do to gain clearance is to remove the welded pin from the right lever linkage attaching point and install an attaching pin through the lever attaching the linkage to the right side of the lever or the outboard side like the left lever is. So there it is I solved my problem!! Something I failed to do last night after staring at the problem and pictures for 2 hours......

Thanks for the thought inducing post Mike.

@liflod,

Awesome picture thanks. Even though my machine is a '95 the installation is nearly identical and as I indictated in an earlier reply to hydromike I thought the problem could be with the right lateral clevis pin attaching point. After looking at this image it's very clear that this is the problem with my machine. So as hydromike said "perhaps the previous owner took it apart, put it back together incorrectly, and you're just duplicating his error", this in fact the case. Problem solved. Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated.

BTW, I'm digging the disk brake set up :-)

+ Reply to Thread