Argo bearings on a max...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo bearings on a max...

Update: Argo bearings on a max...

So who has bought and installed the kit adair argo sells that converts the max axle bearings over to the larger argo axle bearings? Any opinions? I already bought the kits and am waiting for them to arrive. Hopefully they will last much longer than factory bearings. They do not list them on their site but after a conversation with Tim he directed me to the right conversion kit. One would think this would be listed in their site for sale...
    Last edited by rcn11thacr; 10-16-2014 at 04:25 PM.

There are various ways to go about making the Max bearings last longer starting with a quality bearing. The Argo 62mm sealed bearing flanges would have been easy, the kit you're getting is an Argo upgrade(?) to a 72mm bearing using existing 62mm holes with an adapter and a 72mm exposed bearing, the bearing does have larger balls which is good.
    You will have to drill 2 holes (top) after mounting the flange using the flange as a pattern, you will also have to enlarge the body opening to accept the adapter, you may have to fill and seal the existing top bolt hole.

True for the above. I got the first two axle kits in today and everything looks well made out of nice thick material. I made a second call to adair argo and went ahead and bought the kits needed to do the entire max at once, instead of just enough to do the axles that needed immediate attention.

I've been told 100 hrs is normally the limit one can expect for bearings to last on a max. Anyone care to give an example of expected bearing life in an argo?

Our Max IV has a tad over two hundred hours now (bought it with about 64). We put about 140+ hours this summer. Bearings are all good. Its been through water and mud swamps almost every trip. We grease it regularly. Hopefully it will last a bit more come next summer. We're about ready to store it until then.
    Argo bearing conversion does sound interesting. I'll check this thread again. Thanks for sharing.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by rcn11thacr View Post

I've been told 100 hrs is normally the limit one can expect for bearings to last on a max. Anyone care to give an example of expected bearing life in an argo?
    300-500 seems to be the average of a well maintained machine, tracks and or lack of lubrication will affect this average. Terrain will affect this.
    200 hours in pure sand or pure swamp has been seen, same with tracks. Busco eats bearings quick, something with the acidity down there, but grease helps a lot and getting Busco out of your machine quickly makes a huge difference.
    Mine go 400-600 depending on who cleans the machine as when I do (generally with in a day or 2 of the ride) I clean and immediately grease it pushing any water out, if it doesn't get cleaned and I am in water I grease it, I also grease it before a ride just in case I missed one.

I've been told that "most" of the max line averages 100ish, although i cant say thats the gospel. Obviously operator head space and timing plus terrain has an adverse affect in parts lol. Here is a link (hope thats ok to do) to the updated site that does have the kit ive mentioned. Keep in mind that my understanding of this kit is that the one listed in this link is only for upgrading argos. They use the basic kit listed with a mod here or there to make it work for the max line. I'm thinking this will last a long time and be worth the almost $600 bones to buy it. BTW, they do give disabled veteran discounts (10%) if you ask for it. I try hard to support folks that support veterans. Yes, it is the 72mm upgrade kit argojim mentioned.
    HD Bearing Adapter Kit
    I spoke to mike reed for clarification on getting the above kit so it would fit a max. mike@adairargo.com

They yellow plastic piece will negate the need for the larger bearing hole. you will still need to drill the top 2 as yours should only have a center bolt.

The Adair guys also have synthetic bearings that are undergoing testing, I've got a set on a machine and after nearly 100 hours no signs of wear. Further testing pends before they bring out on the market. Could be a hot item to have if everything pans out.

That does look like good product in the making

I got all six of the axle kits in recently. Everything looks well-made and heavy duty. Only one complaint (and it’s a small one) is the flanges in the kit were not debured well, if at all. I felt it was worth the time to file down those edges considering I often have lots of weed build up around the axles. With my hands around that area on a regular basis I didn’t want to get cut up on the rough edges. So if you plan to do this and you buy this particular adapter kit, spend 20 minutes with a file to save from buying bandages later. I also am going the extra mile and having these flanges and the inner frame braces powder coated for longer life as well as aesthetics. My OCD always complicates my "quick" projects, lol.

+ Reply to Thread