Engine rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine rebuild

Engine rebuild

So I've got my 18 hp B&S at a speed shop getting rebuilt, told them I wanted to at least double the hp...they said it would be no problem. Can't wait to get it back and put it back in my max IV and try it out. I'll will follow up when I get it back.

fast, reliable, cheap-- pick any two. Anything is possible.

Jason
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

martin, been thinking about doing the same with my 16 h.p. vanguard. to rebuild to a 22 h.p. was about half the price of a new 22h.p. let us know how you make out and the cost also, thanks j.b. someone local doing it ?

I don't want to hijack your thread BUT(ha) I am wanting to do something similar. Currently my machine has a hustler 950 with a 14hp bs and I have a 18hp bs sitting on the shelf. I was wondering if the 18hp carb will work on the 14? I know putting a 16 carb on a 14 and removing the restriction in the exhaust puts the 14hp to 16hp but not sure if the 18 carb will work. I want to run the current engine(14hp) until I rebuild the 18. I hope to get 24 or more hp out of the rebuild.

So to recap, 1. Will the 18 carb work on the 14, and 2. Am I expecting to much hp out of the 18 rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by wjs0311 View Post

So to recap, 1. Will the 18 carb work on the 14, and 2. Am I expecting to much hp out of the 18 rebuild?
    I think it Should work though just changing to the main jet may do the same, without knowing the venturi differences. The 18 jet may cause the 14 engine to run rich.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    I think it Should work though just changing to the main jet may do the same, without knowing the venturi differences. The 18 jet may cause the 14 engine to run rich.
    Thanks Jim, just to make sure I'm tracking i should pull the main jet out of the 18 carb and put it into the 14 correct? Also I jacked up my 18 carb today while taking it apart. What I think is a pickup that is pressed into the top of the carb broke off. The 18 carb is a nikki 6100.

Yes as long as they are both the Nikki s, the 14 & 16 are the same with 16 having bigger jet.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I would have just swapped the carb and intake as a set and try it, 10 mins and your done

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    I would have just swapped the carb and intake as a set and try it, 10 mins and your done
    That is exactly what I had planed but I guess I had too much time on my hands and decided it was a good idea to clean the carb. Live and learn I guess.

Hey guys, I still haven't gotten my motor back yet but it shouldn't be too much longer. I will definitely let y'all know the results when I do get it back.

+ Reply to Thread