I've had my 1996 Max IV for about 3 weeks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I've had my 1996 Max IV for about 3 weeks

Red face I've had my 1996 Max IV for about 3 weeks

Just returned from Busco Beach for a few days of "learning to use it". Even figured a way to get it stuck in a puddle (high sides). But now I got a question.

When I hard-brake to the right, the left side makes a popping sound (from the rear I believe). If it were a mini-bike I say the chain was dry. But I checked everything I could and didn't see anything.

I did spray the chain and gears (and the shafts) with WD-40 (all I had with me). The noise went away for a bit but came back (slightly louder I believe).

ANY IDEAS would be appreciated.

Johney

By they way. Is there a link on here that tells when a group are planning on getting together? I was in Busco Beach and was wondering if there was some way to see when others might show up.

check all of the chains including the chain tension on the trans, this will make the poping noise your talking about .

Hi jshade, welcome to the site. Gus addressed your chain question. For get-togethers, if you will look in the trail ride and events forum here on the site that is where people post about riding at different trails.

i had a simular snap pop noise with my max iv years ago before i put splined shafts init.
    and what it was is the rear sprocket hubs walk on the axle under loads and it would pop
    i pulled everything apart and installed a zert fitting and greased it once in awhile and it was fine..

Thanks for the inputs and recommendatiosn. Only remaining question is what is a "zert fitting".

Seems the previous owner used a real sticky grease and chain lube. Till I clean off some of the old grease and chain lube, I'm not sure which gear or chain it is. I do plan on removing the chains and cleaning/re-oiling them. A lot of the excess grease and such ended up on the brake drums (at the front of the vehicle). Ordered new pads but till I get that stuff off the drums can't put them on.

Also, is there a current price list from RE available for things like "splined shafts" and such. I looked around but while several offer AATV parts, no one seems to want to put a price on the web?

QUOTE jshade;67998 Thanks for the inputs and recommendatiosn. Only remaining question is what is a "zert fitting".

The tiny rounded knob/port where you hook on a grease gun to lube something is called a ZERK. There should be one somewhere around the circumference of each bearing. Depending on how often (if ever, in some cases) they were greased, the bearings could be empty and/or the zerk fitting could be rusted and likely hard to get the grease to flow into the bearing. Do NOT over grease your bearing or you will blow out the seal and lose your water-tight ability!

Seems the previous owner used a real sticky grease and chain lube. Till I clean off some of the old grease and chain lube, I'm not sure which gear or chain it is. I do plan on removing the chains and cleaning/re-oiling them. A lot of the excess grease and such ended up on the brake drums (at the front of the vehicle). Ordered new pads but till I get that stuff off the drums can't put them on.

Steam cleaning the chains is a good idea, or a powerwasher would work well, too. Soak the chains and inspect them for any defects or stretching (you'll be able to tell). If they look good after they're cleaned, re-install and adjust them, then soak them with a high quality chain lubricant. The foaming type works great because it is easier to apply - it won't spatter everywhere, and you can see where it's going, and it allows the lube to soak into the cracks and crevases of the chain lnks.

Also, is there a current price list from RE available for things like "splined shafts" and such. I looked around but while several offer AATV parts, no one seems to want to put a price on the web?

You'll probably have to call Recreatives directly for prices, and be prepared for sticker shock. They aren't gonna be cheap! LOL

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. It's great to have people share. When I was first looking to purchase my 6x6, I found this site and I have to admit that one of the reasons I purchased so quickly was the knowledge that there would be someone that could answer my simplest questions. Again, thanks for the help.

When you started talking about the Zerk I remembered it. I just greased a couple of the wheels on my Max IV last night, and I didn't even think about what that little fitting was called. I'm going to grease all the wheels over the next couple of days while I'm looking for a steamer or power washer I can rent.

I've been looking at all the different mods that others have added to their 6x6's and I'm very impressed with the engineering talents of the membership. I'm planning right now on what mods to make. My favorites are the underseat boxes for the rear seat on the Max IV's and the movement and replacement of the front seats also on the Max IV. Simple and extreamly useful. I also love all the stuff people attach to their roll bars.

Johney

I picked up a compact, little steam cleaner made by Bissell at my local all-mart for $40. I bought it originally to clean the gunk off my trail bike when I re-did the brakes and added saddlebags to the rear, but I found that little steamer works great for LOTS of things, from steaming off greasy engine grime to cleaning my oven without having to use those noxious toxic chemicals. Whew!

You were speaking of Max IV modifications... Well, I just completed a front seat swap from the stock 2-person bench to a single-person suspension seat yesterday. Took me a while to obtain parts, measure and fabricate, but after just ONE test ride I can tell you it was well worth the effort! I can post pics & fab / install info later, if you'd like. There are others here who have done this great mod, but took different approaches to the way in which the seat is mounted. I fabbed up a system that allows you to swap out one for the other in just a few minutes.

My next project is fabricating a front bumper to mount a 3k winch I bought recently. I am still working on its design; not sure if I want to tie it in to the roll cage or not. I also plan to build a convertible hard top / sun roof, and build a rear wraparound bumper that does tie-in to the roll cage frame. From it I will hang side mud skirts and large mud flaps. I am tired of washing an inch of muck off the ass-end after every wet ride. They are fun to get dirty, but a pain to keep clean!

I posted some of my mods a while back. Search for MaxIV mods and I think my thread will come up.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...x-iv-mods.html

+ Reply to Thread