Head lights popping out of Argo Avenger

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head lights popping out of Argo Avenger

Smile Head lights popping out of Argo Avenger

We went on a group ride last Saturday. Had a great time. Four machines , two Avengers, one Frontier and one old Vanguard. The Avenger with the tracks was the hero of the day. The Frontier was wearing rawhide III's off of an old Bigfoot and it put the extra width of the tires to good use. One of my headlights fell inward into the engine bay. Everybody tried to get it back in but we couldn't. Now I have knocked the other one out. I have tried everything. The factory recommended dish soap and water so I tried that. I cannot get the headlights back in. Can anybody help? Thanks. Philip

stop hitting trees ha ha

Can you turn it on its side and pull it out the front, then push it in from the outside?

Have you tried any other lubricants like oil, wd40, butter, etc?

These are the push in style housings with rubber surrounds correct?

Try not to use WD, or oil. I say this because some rubbers are not oil resistant. The oil can penitrate the rubber & make it swell, and lead to early decomposition!

Just go with the push it in from the outside method. If it needs lubrication just use dry bar soap. Ivory works well, and will lubricate even when rubbed on dry!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

I have heard the same thing about the oil damaging rubber. Have you tried taking the rubber off and installing it first then use dish soap and water to push the lights in. You can't push the light and the rubber in together. Because when the light is in the rubber it pushes it out and that is what locks the light in the body. If this is like a rubber mounted truck light they can be hard to get in. Hope this helps.

This came up on another board. I ended up putting the lights back in, and then using black silicone sealant around them. Use a solution of dish soap with water on your fingers to get a smooth finish to the silicone bead. That will keep them in and not impact the look. It's the easiest cheapest way we found to do it.

Has anyone tried using rope inside the rubber groove and pull out the rope to get the lip on the other side of the body? Same method for installing glass in older cars with the rubber gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    Has anyone tried using rope inside the rubber groove and pull out the rope to get the lip on the other side of the body? Same method for installing glass in older cars with the rubber gaskets.
    That usually turns out to be a PITA, just as it was on older cars!

The silicone idea isnt bad.
    I have the older style hard mount lights. If they get hit they just break!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

Smile Avenger Headlights

XROVER--Thanks for the reply. I think silicone might help to keep the lights from coming out again but not sure just where to put it? I am laughing at your comment ( I ENDED JUST PUTTING THEM BACK IN)--that;s what I can't do. It is funny .

Liflod-Jerry Knus says the same thing-I will try it in the morning. For sure Thanks.

Egoperf- About the trees. God will get you for that.

You can put the silicone behind or in front. I would do both!

You just need a smooth bead around the edges of the rubber!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

+ Reply to Thread