Found the hole I wasn't looking for

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Found the hole I wasn't looking for

Found the hole I wasn't looking for

While out scouting potential new hunting ground, the front end found a narrow but very deep creek. If there's a good side, it was the fact it was narrow, as the winch and brush guard caught the far side and kept the engine from going under by about 1". It wouldn't back out and unfortunately there wasn't anyone or anything in back to help with anyway. I tried running cut down trees under the tracks, but the peat soil wasn't having anything to do with that idea. Ended up digging out the winch that was underwater and crammed into the dirt/tree roots, stacked logs under the cable and "lifted" the front end up enough to drag/drive out forward. Resulting damage was the brush guard bent back enough to keep the engine hood from opening, fog light mount bent down and the 90 degree roller mount on the winch bent upwards some....guess it could have been worse. The pics don't really do the downward angle much justice either.

after getting it out

looks pretty thick there !…were the skeeters thick as well
    I see you had a go-pro mounted did you get it on video?
    Last edited by azz7772; 07-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.

That's a heck of a surprise. Did it throw you towards the windshield when you dropped off unexpectedly? At least the damage was relatively minor.

The skeeters were thick, but the bug dope on us was thicker! It tossed both of us forward, but I'm normally braced anyway just by driving the machine and my wife has a "good" habit of holding the passenger grab bar near the cup holders anytime she can't see the terrain in front. Neither of us hit the window, but it was close. Cruising at a decent speed with an instant drop and stop.

Quote Originally Posted by azz7772 View Post
    looks pretty thick there !…were the skeeters thick as well
    I see you had a go-pro mounted did you get it on video?
    Didn't have the go pro on for that part - wasn't expecting anything "unusual" I've got a few videos of some swampy stuff later on though.

this is something i'm always thinking about when riding in conditions like this. the vegetation cover can be very deceiving, i try to watch the tops of the plants for height deviations but it's not to be trusted. i usually slow down or try to stand up for a slight;y better vantage. glad you didn't get hurt and damae was minimal.

wow what a surprise l bet. Had that happen to a friend of mine {we were scouting also} We had a heck of a time getting him out as nothing to winch to except my machine. I would winch and all it would do was to pull my machine down. We finally did it without any swearing. Not bad enough getting into that mess but about a few hundred yards further he wants to go around a beaver dam with a big angled bank and saw a beaver in the water and as he looked at it he slipped into the water on a steep, steep angle, hisw one track slipped off. No one got hurt but as l was behind him it was scary watching this happening. l won't go into details about how we got him out. Aways carry a come-a-long. l'm sure glad no one was hurt.

Sick pictures, glad to hear you didn't get hurt.
    Some guys around here have winches mounted on the back of their machines for gust such situations. It can be scary riding through stuff like that.

RD

Never a dull moment on my Argo - looks to be the same for yours! I like the tough look of your tracks and top and push bar, etc. Great looking machine! I've been considering the same thing RD said, mounting a winch on the back of my machine as well. In my short experience with it, it seems easier to winch backwards toward the terrain I've successfully navigated then to winch deeper into the mess!

Very Nice pictures,who makes that black bag on the back of your seat?

+ Reply to Thread