Max II Chain Adjusters

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max II Chain Adjusters

Max II Chain Adjusters

I have been chasing a phantom chain noise. I think it is the right front adjuster. I don't believe the teflon is worn to the rivets but it sounds like it. My tires were worn to different sizes so I blamed the noise on chain windup from significant different tire circumferences,so I put new tires on it,still have a noise though not as bad. I'm thinking of getting new chain adjusters complete from Recreatives. Anyone know what a complete adjuster is worth?

If the slides are worn deep you'll still get some binding.

Thanks Jim. I am virtually certain that is where I am.

hi ,
    I have found the tensioners for a max to be sensitive to install eg vertical position and side to side .
    Explanation - if the chain does not have good vertical / horizontal alignment the chain can hit the tensioner and then release the mechanism . The chain tensioner can be nearly be new when this occurs also .
    To add to this it releases for no particular reason as well . I have replace 3x in 18 months .
    Another point is due to the tensioner being spring loaded vibration from machine and chain whip can cause this issue .
    Install chains running parallel as possible and always keep chain tensioned up this all helps the tensioner .
    Finally some people do have great sucess with these .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I changed to roller tensioners .

tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 06-09-2013 at 04:04 AM.

I have spent several hours now on this dilemma. I think you are right Tomo. I tried yesterday with a stethoscope (they rarely are conclusive with a vibrating machine) and was able to conclusively determine it is the right side front. I changed to new 520 master links in the chain fearing I may have had one that was not quite right. I installed new tires to help eliminate chain wind up from mismatched diameters/circumferences. At very low speeds there is no noise. Then with a good flashlight watching I increased speed,got the noise and definitely saw that the chain was fouling no where touching only the sprockets and tensioner. I noted exactly as you indicate that the tensioner at speed was slightly out of parallel with the frame. The teflon is worn about 1/8" deep only as it is on the left side. It is a perplexing problem as my Max prior to this and unlike some makes/models was absolutely silent operating in the area of chains/sprockets. Bottom line you are absolutely correct on the need for tensioner alignment and I believe that a new tensioner assembly will cure it but I hear they are quite expensive.Further confusing me is I can jack up the machine and run it full throttle with absolutely no chain noise,this is where I got the idea the tires were out of matching circumferences affecting it when turning on the ground. I appreciate your advice Tomo.
    Last edited by Eldon; 06-09-2013 at 08:16 AM.

I switched both of my max II machines over over to the roller style tensioner from Richards relics. Couldn't be happier
    98 Max II Adair Tracks
    96 Max II 22" Mudbugs
    76 Attex (450 Tomahawk?)

Did i read this right, teflon is only wore on the inside? Is it possible the adjuster is bent from let's say adjusting it with a foot instead of a hand making it 100-120 deg. instead of 90 deg.?

No Jim, I meant both sides are worn the same about 1/8", far from the rivet heads. I think now adjuster alignment is incorrect though for the life of me I can't understand how the placement of the adjuster would move. I run tracks all winter with no chains driving the front axle to reduce chain wind up. It was when I went back to wheels this spring the noise started when I re-installed the chains.

How much are the roller style?

+ Reply to Thread