Boy-am I lucky!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boy-am I lucky!

Boy-am I lucky!

Still getting the Max 4 ready for the Labor Day ride on my days off and haven't really found anything earthshaking................till now. Took the top plug out of the tranny and found it was unvented. Wow some dummy put in the wrong plug! Pulled the bottom plug to drain and found the dummy had swapped the plugs. The vented plug was on the bottom. Hmm, wasn't there a warning about that in the manual? No oil except a slight bit of what looked to be 90wt. I refilled it with the correct oil and went for a spin. It did fine, much to my vast relief. No telling how long it has been like this. I took it back out a few hours later and it still worked fine. I don't see any leaks around the seals and don't hear any odd noises. I think I'll make the ride with it and drain it afterwards through a paint strainer and see if any metal chips pop up. Lesson learned here.......check tranny oil level as part of your PPI.

couldnt of been like that very long my bolts came loose that hold the tranny halfs togother and leaked ot my fluid in one ride i welded parts togother in the tranny due to heat friction so make sure you check those bolts to!
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

I get concerned when anyone mentions oil and a t-20. Did you refil with ATF or gear oil??? Gear oil is very very bad!
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I get concerned when anyone mentions oil and a t-20. Did you refil with ATF or gear oil??? Gear oil is very very bad!
    I replaced it with type F and the required additive. I don't know that it was 90wt in it but it seemed to smell like it. I do know that most people seem to associate any kind of tranny with the heavy oils. With all the great info (and knowledgeable people) on this site such mistakes will, hopefully, die out! It sure steers a lot better. Thanks for the reminder.

Sounds like you caught it in time. Like you said, I'd run it a bit and change it out again, try and flush it as best you can.

BTW, good talking to you on the phone today, look forward to you dropping by for a visit and a cold one!
    Thomas

94 MAX IV, 16 Vanguard, Aqua Torques, 1 1/4" wheel spacers

+ Reply to Thread