18hp B&S carb issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 18hp B&S carb issue

18hp B&S carb issue

I can't seem to solve this carb issue.
    01 Argo big foot 18hp B&S
    My argo sat in the shop for nearly a year. I changed the oil, flushed the fuel tank, and rebuilt the carb. As I was adjusting the carb I found that it was blowing fuel back at full throttle.
    Here's a video of what I'm talking about.
    http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/...922_172442.mp4
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

My 16hp B&S was doing that when the jets were clogged and the bowl was dirty. I would pull the jets and emulsion tube and blow some carb cleaner through just to make sure they are clear.

Carb is a fresh rebuild. Internal's are hospital clean!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I would bottle feed it to eliminate any questions about water in the fuel etc, we have trouble with reformulated gas when it sit for a few months.

Ethenol or 100% real gas?
    Thomas

94 MAX IV, 16 Vanguard, Aqua Torques, 1 1/4" wheel spacers

its a 10% mix up here.

hi ,
    do tappet [valve clearance]
    do a compression test wet and dry
    Even though it has a decompression system the readings should be within 10 % of each other and at least 120psi
    Yes it may look to be fine
    Must do a leak down test [eg 100psi air pressure and listen for difference between the cylinders ]
    The gage will also have a green zone ,the needle must be within that area
    Use of percentages is different from gage to gage
    Using a snap on leak down no greater than under 3% great, but no more than 5%
    The briggs twin vanny has a poor [not wide enough and definitely not much support from piston ]top ring
    The twin vanny engines run poorly when the hone marks disappear eg degraded by age etc
    ps do a compression wet test after leaK down
    A wet test is 2-3 squirts of oil in cylinder and this seals the rings up if worn out

tomo

Fuel is fresh, I'll check comp. But I doubt that's gonna be it. There's only 120hrs on my machine!
    Nope, don't get much time to play!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

It looks like the fuel is bouncing off of the choke - sort of squirted from the side and at the butterfly valve. There should be some sort of nozzle that injects the fuel mid stream. Of course the camera view might hide what's really happening. I am wondering if there is a pinched/cut/worn out gasket between the carburetor body and cover.

But, I've never even seen one of these carburetors except in you pictures.

Be careful - that atomized fuel being shot into the air is a fireball if given a source of ignition.

A plugged exhaust will cause fuel spitting out of the carb at full throttle. But it would be even and continuous, and your video looks and sounds like an intermittent misfire. Looks like it is firing when the intake valve is open. I think I would look for bad ground connections or a bad coil, or ignition module after that. Tomo mentioned to check the valves, a sticky valve could cause it too.

+ Reply to Thread